Monday, August 14, 2006

There's no place like home:)

Well I'm back safe and sound, I have to say that 3 days really stretches when you don't have other things to occupy you. By the second day I really started wishing I had brought a book.

I was going to update the blog last night but we returned late in the evening and I was exhausted. The camping itself turned out alright, there were a few things that we had to deal with which turned it into a bit of an adventure.

Sleeping was one of those things, the nights were really really cold and for some reason we didn't bring enough blankets to keep us warm. With no sleeping bags it got really unpleasant, to the point where I actually slept in the car the last 2 nights. Not that it helped the car was just as cold. The other thing was one of our air mattress had a hole in it so it kept loosing air and my poor parents were literally sleeping on the ground.

The parental units and myself did bicker a little on the first day but it got gradually less after that. I also came back sporting a really bad sun burn, yeah I know what you're all thinking why didn't I bring some sun block?. Well it seems that we always forget such things when we go on long trips like this. We forgot a lot of other stuff too, like warmer clothes lol.

Now to the good things, we actually had extremely good weather during the day with plenty of sun and no rain. So I was quite happy about that. The place we were at was only about an hour away so I didn't have to spend endless hours in the car, another good thing. We also had water and electricity. For which I have to say thank god! it allowed me to listen to my cd player and kept me from going insane lol. We also had a public bathroom close by, a surprisingly clean one at that so that was a relief.

Got to talk to some nice people camping close by, one was really generous and helped set up our mosquito tent. He even give us extra firewood. One guy camping across from us even got to drink some tequila with us while we were celebrating my dad's birthday on the 10th. He was from Hamilton and really polite and seemed to take a shining to my parents. Not sure why lol.

On the last day I got a little break from my folks, some friends of theirs arrived and kept us all entertained. I actually had more fun on the last day, even stayed up longer sitting and chatting by the fire.

One activity that was really popular at this camping area was tubing, there were people always walking around with big inflated tires lol. There was a little area in the park where you could go tubing on the river, you had to rent a life jacket and helmet of course. Pretty steep price though, the equipment itself was only 18 bucks but there was a deposit of 75. I would have been too chicken to try this anyway even if it was cheaper. I'm not really an adventurous type and going down the river on a tire, not my cup of tea.

All in all I guess it turned out a little better then I expected. One thing is for sure though after 3 days of roughing it in a tent or car in my case, you really appreciate your bed. Especially since right now I'm aching in places I didn't even know could lol.

No comments: