Thursday, August 31, 2006

Martina Hingis ousted in 2nd round of U.S. Open!!

I can't believe this! I'm in total shock right now, she lost to a French player ranked in the 100's, Virginie Razzano. In 2 sets 6/2 6/4. And again I just cannot believe it, this is the earliest that Hingis has lost in the U.S. Open since the beginning of her career I think.

She just could not hold her serve at all tonight. The player really wasn't that great, Hingis just could not hold her serve in the first set. She only held it once in the first. Her first serve percentage was at 54% and only went up slightly toward the end of the second set. Another thing I noticed was that she was really rushing especially in the first set, very unlike her.

She fought back in the second set at 5/1 and brought it to 5/4 but just could not do it. I was really hoping she could turn it around in that last point. I'm not sure what happened I'm really disappointed, but mostly surprised. I don't think Hingis herself believes how badly she was playing today, it was just not her day.

It's really too bad she's out. I think she had a real shot this year but hopefully with more match play in the coming months she'll get better, and improve her match toughness and concentration. If she stays healthy and as fit as she is at the moment I have no doubt she'll win some grand slams next year.

Now I'm off to watch the Agassi match although with the way things have gone tonight, I'm not sure I wanna see that either.

No comments: