Wednesday, June 09, 2021

Roland Garros Defending Champion Iga Swiatek falls short in the quarterfinals


Iga Swiatek's Twitter

Iga Swiatek's title defense at Roland Garros ended on Wednesday with a 6-4, 6-4 loss to No.18 Maria Sakkari in the quarterfinals. The loss snapped Swiatek's stunning streak of 22 consecutive sets won at the French Open.

"Well, obviously I didn't play my best tennis, that's for sure," Swiatek told reporters after the loss. "But Maria did a good job with playing at my forehand, which wasn't working pretty well today. It's good for her that she saw that. She picked a good tactic, for sure.

"All credit to her because she also made me actually feel bad. That's what players do to each other. She did that better today."

Swiatek also said the past few weeks finally hit her Tuesday. She said she struggled to get even a few hours of sleep the night before her quarterfinal match.

"This year I had more pressure on me, but also I did good because I think quarterfinal is a good job," Swiatek said. "I'm showing consistency. Obviously I know I can play better than today. Everybody has seen that. I know I can play heavier balls and everything. But days like that happen. I didn't have day like that last year. Basically that's why I won.

"But the most important thing right now is to take lessons of it, not let it happen next time."

While Wimbledon is less than three weeks away, Swiatek said her next big goal is to peak for the Tokyo Olympics, which will be played on hardcourts at the end of July.

"[The Olympics] is my next goal because I don't know how I'm going to play on grass.

"I don't know if I even remember how to play on grass, so we're going to see how that's going to go. I'm not putting, like, any expectations or any pressure on me because really I just want to learn how to play on it. Probably I'm going to say that for few more years."

Swiatek was a junior champion at Wimbledon in 2018, but she'll be playing the main draw for just the second time in her career. Despite her junior success, Swiatek is keeping her expectations low for the next few weeks.

"When I was playing that year [I won juniors], I was so angry that I didn't win junior French Open that I kind of took it [out] on Wimbledon," Swiatek said. "I think physically I was better than my opponents, than any junior player there. My motivation to win any Grand Slam, my anger at French Open, it really gave me a lot. Also the conditions were special this year because it was really hot. The ball was bouncing basically like on clay.

"Still in 2019 I didn't have a good run on any of the tournaments on grass. Basically that's why I just feel like I'm not consistent there. I'm not even consistent in, like, 10% really. I think it's going to do me good to not have any expectations and just play."

Regardless of the quick turnaround between Roland Garros and the grass season, Swiatek's first priority is to check out of tennis for as long as she needs to refresh both the mind and body. Swiatek took a medical timeout to tape her upper right leg early in the second set against Sakkari, but assured reporters that it wasn't as serious as she thought it might be on court.

Swiatek is still in the doubles tournament with Bethanie Mattek-Sands. The duo will face Irina-Camelia Begu and Nadia Podoroska for a spot in the final. Swiatek dismissed any concerns that her decision to play both singles and doubles impacted her tournament. Her 2020 title run was paired with a run to the doubles semifinals as well.

"I can change so many things that really it's hard to say what was the problem," Swiatek said. "I don't think it was doubles. As I said from the beginning, it actually helped me."

As Swiatek hits the midpoint of her first full season on the pro tour - an astounding fact given she has already pocketed titles at the Grand Slam, WTA 1000 and WTA 500 levels - it is impossible to see the 20-year-old's 2021 season as anything less than a success so far.

Coming off her 2020 breakthrough, Swiatek has won 23 of 29 matches this year and is one of only four players with multiple titles. She has lost before the Round of 16 at any tournament just once. Playing under newfound pressure at the Slams, she made the second week in Melbourne and Paris.

"I had a pretty intense season," Swiatek said. "I played many of the tournaments, more than in my previous seasons. I'm happy with the results that I have, but also I'm constantly at work.

"For sure we're going to try to chill out a little bit, cool down, also find some perspective. Basically when I close my eyes, I only see tennis court and balls, so it's pretty tiring. For sure that fresh start after grass is going to give me a lot."
    

Today was not Iga's day I did say in my last post I was a bit worried that playing singles and doubles on back to back days might prove to be a bit much. And I think in the end it was a little. 

As she herself mentioned she wasn't able to get proper sleep. And although she played doubles last year and said it helped her I think the added pressure of doing that and being the defending champion finally got to be too much (for the body especially). 

I hope her thigh injury isn't to serious. I guess we'll know for sure if she decides to pull out of the doubles.

That's not to take away from her achievements because reaching the quarters the way she did (without losing a set) was still a fantastic effort, so she can only take away positives from it all really. 

So far she's having a great season having already won 2 titles. The 3rd title being a Grand Slam last year. Not a lot of 20 year-olds can say that. 

There's no doubt in my mind this young woman will be a contender for many big titles in the years to come.

Good luck in the doubles Iga!. Congratulations on another outstanding showing at Roland Garros.  It may not have been the result you wanted but, keep your head high.  See you on the grass. 

Selfishly I was hoping Iga would finally be the first woman to successfully defend her Grand Slam title (which I think hasn't happened since Justine Henin in 2007?),  or Serena don't remember what year. 

But alas the WTA continues to be a revolving door of brand new Grand Slam champions (for the 6th year in a row)

All of whom are first time semi-finalists as well. Hard to say who will win out of the four ladies left. 

I want to say Krajicekova or Sakkari (rooting for Sakkari a little actually). But it could very well be Tamara Zidansek the way this tournament has gone. 

Wouldn't it be something to see a Greek on the men's side with Tsitsipas and compatriot Sakkari on the other?.  But more likely we'll get 1 out of 2. 












No comments: