Saturday, August 05, 2006

Great news for fans of classic Tennis

I got this through my Google alerts, some really exciting news for fans of classic Tennis. ESPN Classic will be showing some great matches from both men and women at the Montreal tournament.

They even have an Agassi tribute. TSN has also posted their full broadcast schedule of the Rogers Cup for all of us Canadians:D.

I just hope I get to see this, but I guess I will or otherwise TSN wouldn't put it on their site. Fingers crossed.

Here are the matches I'm most interested in:

Sunday, Aug. 6 – 1995 Final: Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras at 5:30 p.m. ET

Sunday, Aug. 13 – 1987 Semifinal: Chris Evert vs. Pam Shriver at 6 p.m. ET

Sunday, Aug. 13 – 1998 Semifinal: Monica Seles vs. Martina Hingis at 9:30 p.m. ET

For the full details go here: http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/news_story/?ID=173219&hubname=tennis

I will post my thoughts on the Hingis/Clijsters Acura Classic quarter final later in the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Chris Evert! I love Chris Evert! She's my favorite all time females player. They used to call her the "Ice Princess," because she showed no emotion while she was killing you on the court. Her and Navratilova had some great matches against eachother back in the day. The had contrasting styles, because like I said, showed no emotion, while Martina always showed emtion.

Of course, you can't go wrong with the Sampras/Agassi match too. This was back when I used to watch tennis religiously, and Sampras dominated tennis for a number of years. The sports media used to pick on him, because he wasn't flashy as the other male players of the time, but that's the exact reason I liked him. He just played the game. He didn't seem to be effected much from the "celebrity" part of the game.

What's not to love about Seles&Hingis? If I'm not mistaken this is when Seles tried to make one of her comebacks? I used to be a huge Seles fan, and it was sad to see her decline. After she got stabbed, and then left the game, she was never quite the same. She used to be a dominating player, just like Hingis used to be a few years ago.