Saturday, August 05, 2006

Clijsters ousts Hingis again!

Well, yesterdays Acura quarter final match was pretty much same old same old with Clijsters winning again!. If I'm not mistaken this is the 3rd or 4th time in a row this year and all at the quarters too. And in two sets no less. I think a lot of people including myself were disappointed that Martina couldn't even get the match into a 3rd set.

And I won't make excuses this time saying Martina could have just been tired from playing three sets the previous evening, because the same could have been said for Kim. I really think Martina needs to work on her concentration a little more, because she's loosing focus a lot.

And obviously she's got a lot things to improve in terms of her game. And not just her 2nd serve. Maybe a new couch would be better for her, or a second couch. But something needs to be done if she wants to win a couple of more titles in the next few years or so.

Now I'm not saying all this to bash my favourite player in any way, I just think it's necessary if she wants to get better much less get back in the top ten. And maybe I am being a little harsh seeing as she's only been playing for the past 8 months after a three year break.

So perhaps, she just needs more time to adjust. We'll see how things change by this time next year, whether there are any improvements. She says she just needs to play more matches. Who knows? maybe that's true again we shell wait and see.

Now with all this said, Kim is a very tough player and Hingis certainly hang in there. It was tight first set, she even had a lead in the first at 5-4 but lost it. And I guess she just couldn't convert on her breaks Kim won the match 7/5 6/2.

I think by the second set Martina felt like she had no chance. So now we move on to Montreal on August 13, hopefully she'll have better luck there. Barring she doesn't meet Kim till the final;).

Here are a couple of articles with details on the match:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5247588.stm

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=tennisNews&storyID=2006-08-05T055141Z_01_B558105_RTRIDST_0_SPORT-TENNIS-ACURA-UPDATE-1.XML

Since this is a long post I'll post the photos in a separate one;).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Would have liked to see Hingis advance, but I guess it was not to be. :(

Read the article you posted along with your blog post, and Martina admits that she lost her concentration. Alot of sports is mental. She let Clijsters get into her head. From what I understand, she's tough to play. Here's to hoping Martina does better in the U.S. Open.