Monday, August 21, 2006

Ivanovic upsets Hingis in the final at Rogers Cup!

Wow I can't believe Martina lost:( But I gotta hand it to this Anna person she played well, and she's definitely got a lot of potential. She held her nerve the whole match playing very aggressively. She beat Hingis in straight sets 6/2 6/3.

So I think she'll stick around. As for Hingis well it just wasn't her day I guess, and yes many will say that she didn't play that great, or she wasn't aggressive enough. And that's partly the reason but the other reason is the other player was just too good. Even Martina herself said it in her speech.

I also think because this was the first time these two played, Martina didn't really have a strategy against her, where as her opponent did. But I'm sure Martina will be back next year at Rogers Cup. Better then ever and will kick some more butt.

She received some great applause from the crowd they really appreciated her all this week the only player to actually stick around in this tournament.

And hey there's always the U.S. Open for Hingis. Clijsters has confirmed she's not playing and Martina has moved into the#9 spot as of today, putting her at #8 at the Open so a huge advantage there. She won't have to face the Sharapova's or William's until at least the quarters.

So I wish her lots of luck there. And I'm looking forward to watching her play next Monday. Again it didn't happen this year, but this was a nice accomplishment of getting to the final and putting herself back in the top 10.

Also I noticed that the Rogers Cup trophy has changed this year it's now a glass tennis racquet looks very cool. Oh, also I love Martina's little comment about her speech and the fact that she hasn't done many of these in a while so she's a little rusty lol. You gotta love her even when she loses she's a class act.

No comments: