Saturday, August 19, 2006

Martina Hingis is in the finals at Rogers Cup!

Martina won the first set fairly easily 6/3 she was leading 3/1 in the second when her opponent retired with a right forearm injury. Now of course that's not the way any player wants to win a semi-final match, but hey what are you gonna do. And honestly I think since Martina was leading she would have won it anyway.

This actually gives her a nice break, it gives her plenty of time to rest before tomorrow's final. I could tell she was tired, she wasn't running as much and her serve was a little more sloppy, but understandably so.

Martina herself admitted she was still tired from last night and having to play during the day in the heat is not fun. So I'm happy for her at least she got a break and moves to the finals easily. She deserves it after last night's win anyway.

I do have to say I feel a little sorry for her opponent Anna Chankvetadze because I'm sure she would have put on more of a match if she was up to it and I don't think it was right for the crowd to boo her. Actually I found that quite rude.

In any case congrats to Martina! and all the best tomorrow, I hope it is her holding that trophy fingers crossed.

Another incentive Martina has for winning this title aside from the trophy and money is her ranking if she wins tomorrow she will become the #9 player in the world. Guaranteeing a #8 rank at the U.S. Open.

Which would be of great help since she wouldn't have to face any of the really tough players like Mauresmo in the early rounds. She moves into the top ten spot as of Monday anyway thanks to her win against Kuznetsova.

She knocked Lindsay Davenport out of her top ten spot. Pretty amazing I don't think anyone expected her to be in the top 10 after only 8 months. Very cool.

No comments: