Friday, August 18, 2006

She did it! Hingis is in the semi-finals at Rogers Cup

Where do I start? what a match! now first of all I know that a lot of people may say that Kuznetsova wasn't in her best form and that's why Hingis won. To those people I say, hell no! Hingis was absolutely great tonight she worked hard for every point and deserved the win.

This match was worthy of a final not a quarter final. I think playing those two really tough matches to get her to the quarters really prepared her. Hingis herself said in her post-match interview it helped loosen her up.

All credit to Hingis for really raising her game boy, when she steps up she really steps up. She knew she would have to against Kuznetsova and did exactly that so I have to applaud her for that.

Things were really working for Hingis tonight and she was really on her game, she was even serving at 70% . The other key thing was she played such a clean game I think all together in both sets she had a total of only 14 maybe 15 unforced errors to Kuznetsova's 30+.

She was once again running down every ball and used Kuznetsova's pace to her advantage and got her off balance several times in the match. She threw in some magnificent drop shots too, and again held her serve during all important points.

Even when she was broken she broke right back. She even got lucky with Kuznetsova double faulting in the tie break at 6/4 giving her the set. Of course I think she would have won it either way. And I think winning the first set really give her confidence.

It was great to see her smiling on her winning points too, she hasn't done that much this tournament.

I like the fact that she didn't get down on herself and think about certain points too much. Just let it go and played her game. She knew that with Kuznetsova winning wouldn't be easy, but at the same time she relished the challenge. That's what she always does the harder the player the harder and better she plays. Because she loves outsmarting her opponent. She even said in her post-match interview she loves playing Kuznetsova.

I also have to mention I loved the variety Hingis demonstrated in this match, it felt like the Hingis of old. Besides the drop shots she even made a magnificent lob and of course perfect volley's all throughout. And how sweet was it for Hingis to have a triple match point? doesn't happen often. But again she really pulled out the stops tonight and deserves every bit of that win. And she knows it.

I have to admit I had my doubts about Hingis moving on tonight, but I love that she proved me wrong:D.

So now she goes on to the semi's to play unseeded Russian Anna Chakvetadze should be interesting, but I don't see Hingis having any problems especially if she plays the way she did tonight.

And just as an end note to those who say Hingis might get the title by default on the count of so many seeded players pulling out. I again say, hell no! winning against Kuznetsova wasn't exactly a walk in the park. So if she wins this which I'm almost certain she will she completely deserves it. Just by winning this match.

She won the match in two sets too, a lot of people said it would take 3 so huge credit to her for pulling it off in two. Allowing her to get more rest before tomorrow. She won the match 7/6 6/3.

All the best to her tomorrow I can't wait to see her holding the Rogers Cup trophy on Sunday.:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep! Watching her in the semis right now! She's leading 3-2 in the first set. Let's go Hingis!