Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Hingis begs dope testers not to disrupt her day

August 01, 2006 Edition 3

San Diego, California - It's not the knock on the door that worries Martina Hingis - it's the timing.

The Swiss former world number one, making her WTA summer hardcourt start here this week, complained that a Sunday drug test during a pre-tournament training day threw off her carefully prepared routine for no good reason.

Hingis, who returned in January after a long break from the sport, said drug testers need to have some consideration. "They should look at a player's schedule. They just come in and screw up your whole day," the five-time Grand Slam winner said yesterday.
"They could come at the end of the day or in the morning, but not in the middle of the day when you have training.

"It's not a big difference if it's in the morning, the night or the next day. It's not like anything's going to go away."

Hingis said she is all for random drug testing - "the rules should be respected," she declared - but that testers could do with some consideration.
Hingis said she will never forget a 6 am test performed in Switzerland in 1996.
"I'm not running away, but I want my two hours of sleep. It's OK to test me. But don't show up at 6," Hingis lamented. - Sapa-AFP

Source:http://www.thestar.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=3370127

I sort of have mixed feelings about this article. On the one hand I agree that it's a little unfair to mess up a players schedule but on the other, they wouldn't be called "random" drug tests if you knew ahead of time.

I really wish all these darn athletes would stop cheating with drugs. This way honest players like Martina wouldn't have to suffer the consequences of their actions. Anyway that's my small rant for the day lol.

I know it's been a little slow in the Tennis news lately but hopefully things will pick up once I'm able to see some of the Acura Classic matches and of course Rogers Cup on August 12.

No comments: