Friday, September 01, 2006

Amazing Agassi marathon

I watched what was probably one of the best men's matches last night where Andre Agassi beat Marcos Bhagdatis in 5 sets!. The most ironic thing was that that towards the end of the 5th set the 21 year old Marcos started cramping.

And the 36 year old Agassi who had to receive cortisone injections for his back just kept on going. It was really exciting to watch, and the crowd was absolutely nuts!. I lost count of how many times the chair empire had to ask the crowd to be quiet:lol. That match went on for 3 hours and 40 minutes I was on the edge of my seat along with Steffi the entire time.

I really hope Agassi can go all the way, of course if he wants to win the title he's gonna have to get past Roger Federer and that may be tough. But you never know. I'm rooting for him. On the women's side I'm rooting for Lindsay Davenport now that Hingis is gone.

It would make a great story especially since Lindsay has been away for 6 months with that back and shoulder injury. There's no one else I really want to win the title. I definitely don't want people like Sharapova, Williams, Mauresmo or Henin Hardenne to win it. But that's probably what will happen lol.

I still can't get over Hingis's loss, it's just really sad. She really wasn't there mentally last night. Which makes you wonder if she had something major going on in her personal life. Also the other thing that I think many people forgot is that she was playing her 2nd round match with no rest. Due to the rain delay.

Now I don't think that she was actually physically tired, but definitely mentally, which can also have an effect on the physical side of things. And I'm not trying to make that an excuse her loss, but I'm simply making an observation that it couldn't have been easy. I'm hoping that she'll take some positives out of this experience like her win in the first round and does better in the China Open coming up later this month.

I have no doubt that she'll regroup and start playing well again. And as disappointing and sad as the losses are I would be a lot more disappointed if she stopped playing altogether. Because she brings so much to the game of Tennis.

No comments: