Sunday, January 07, 2007

Stop the whine-fest

Why is it that every time Hingis loses people automatically think there's something wrong?. The truth of the matter is that every player has their day off no matter how good they are. Sometimes things just don't work, be it their serve, or their whole game in general.

Sometimes it just doesn't come together. And that's the type of day Hingis had in yesterday's final against Dinara Safina. So, ok maybe she couldn't convert on some of the game points and chances given to her but lets cut her some slack.

She fought back several times from being down 2 break points and managed to recover and take the match into a 3rd set. While she was being forced to run all over the court due to Safina's powerful ground strokes I might add.

She fought hard in the 3rd set and evened things out at 5 all before finally succumbing. Those are some pretty amazing results in my opinion. And such an improvement from last year, where she often give up mentally after loosing the 1st set.

So she didn't win but she got some great practice for the Australian Open coming up in a couple of weeks. I am certain she will bounce back from this loss, as hard as the loss was for her I know she'll regroup and continue to kick butt.

If you're wondering why I'm writing this, well I've been reading so many complaints about her loss yesterday on the message boards and other places around the net I felt compelled to respond. Stop looking at the negatives people, look at the positives.

With every match she is improving, yesterday was just simply not her day. Her opponent was having a better one plain and simple. After all she beat Safina in Rome last year, so it's not a question of ability. (I place the blame on the black outfit again lol).

But seriously to all those complaining and saying she's taking steps backwards, take a chill pill. After all Hingis is only human, she cannot play perfect all the time. And yes I will admit I have done my fair share of complaining in the past, but I am very happy with her progress thus far and I don't expect her to win titles all the time.

It makes it that much sweeter when she does. And hey this is only the beginning of the year she'll have many other chances to improve and work on her game.

Here is an article with some match statistics for all those interested.

No comments: