Friday, January 05, 2007

Martina Hingis rolls on to the finals at Gold Coast

Well, seems like Hingis caught a lucky break yesterday against her Italian opponent Tathiana Garbin. She won the match because Garbin was forced to retire due to breathing difficulties caused by a viral illness (according to sonyericsson's site).

The interesting and perhaps not so great fact is that before Garbin retired from the match she was leading Hingis 4-3 in the 1st set. On the one hand it's great because Martina has extra time to rest on the other no player wants to make it to any final in that way, having it handed to you basically.

You always want that challenge so that you know you've earned it, but I'm sure Martina didn't mind it much. I'm sure she thought hey you take your breaks where you can get them, and I would agree.

So even though Martina didn't win per se I'm still very happy she's in the final, personally I think Hingis would have won the match anyway. And it looks like I got my wish Hingis will face Dinara Safina in the final, who beat her opponent Shahar Peer in a very impressive 3 setter with Shahar leading 5-2 in the second.

Both Hingis and Safina are fighters so it should be one hell of a match!. The last time these 2 played was last year in the finals of Rome and Hingis won so I'm sure Safina will be hungry for revenge.

I cannot wait to find out the outcome of this match, I hope Hingis gets it. This win would make it her first title of the year and her 43rd in total. Good luck Martina!.

Read the related article

No comments: