Friday, January 05, 2007

"The O.C." gets the axe

I wish I could say I was shocked, sad or even surprised, but I'm none of those things. I had a feeling the show would go down the tubes sooner or later and Mischa Barton's character being killed off on the count of her leaving (or getting fired as rumored) pretty much sealed the deal.

The ratings have really plummeted this year, hence the reason for the cancellation. I guess all those Mischa Barton fans rebelled and vowed to never watch the show again. That's not to say that people didn't watch the show for the other characters, but lets face it Marissa Cooper got the best story lines. And when she left, the show became a yawn-fest. Good thing Fox only ordered 16 episodes for this year, I guess they had a feeling about it too.

I will admit that I was once a huge fan of this show and was completely addicted to it in the first 2 years, it was one of my guilty pleasures. But lately not even the hunkiest guest stars (Kevin Sorbo as Ryan's dad) could keep my interest. I found myself flipping the channel and obviously the rest of the viewers felt the same way.

I say it's for the best, now all those great actors can hopefully move on to bigger and better things. I have no doubt Adam Brody, Ben McKenzie and Rachel Bilson will have lots of success on the big screen. Same with Kelly Rowan and Peter Gallagher (he can always go back to theatre or Broadway, the man can sing!).

Out of the whole cast I have to say I'm most curious to see what Melinda Clarke's (Julie Cooper's) next project will be. I'm sure that it'll be something good, she has a knack for choosing interesting roles.

Read the related article

No comments: