I thought I was done crying over Roger Federer making speeches after his retirement at Laver Cup in 2022.
I was wrong. So very wrong.
He got me again.
What a wonderfully heartwarming, funny, genuine, eloquent and emotionally impassioned speech.
I was in tears before he even came on stage due to Mirka who rarely does public speeches introducing him. I think the woman has spoken publicly maybe one other time in Roger's entire 20+ year career.
But boy, was she good.
Not a dry eye in the house.
Roger's whole speech was a reminder of just why I admired him for so many years. Still do in fact.
What's that saying people often utter in tennis, form is temporary class is permanent.
And Roger Federer is the epitome of it.
Not just in tennis but in life.
It's not the number of victories or titles that make you the greatest of all time, it's who you are when no one is watching as Mirka put it in her speech.
It's why Federer will always be my G.O.A.T. no one else on the men's side will ever compare.
There will always be debates with Nadal, Djokovic etc. but to me there's no contest.
No comments:
Post a Comment