Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Iga Swiatek sets up another meeting with Rybakina 1 week later in Cincy Quarters











Another tournament, another milestone. No. 7 seed Iga Swiatek extended her winning streak to nine matches with a 6-3, 6-3 defeat of Diane Parry in the Cincinnati Open fourth round, and advanced to her 30th quarterfinal in the 48 WTA 1000 events she has contested in her career.

In addition, the former World No. 1 has made at least the quarterfinal stage in 14 of the 30 Grand Slams she has played so far. This season, Cincinnati marks her seventh tour-level quarterfinal.

As ever, the defending champion was mindful not to place too much weight on such statistics.

"It's always nice to hear that," she said in her on-court interview. "Usually after a tournament I like to a little bit look at the numbers, but during I'm just focused on the next match -- it doesn't matter if it's a quarterfinal or a second round, I treat every match the same way. But I know my Wikipedia is going to look good! The key is to focus on being present, and that's how you can get to those numbers."

Being present is exactly what Swiatek did to win her second match in as many meetings with Parry. There were sticky moments, most notably at the start and end of the contest. Swiatek was slow out of the blocks and dropped serve in her opening game -- but Parry was unable to convert two points to hold for 2-0, and the Pole swiftly wrested control of the set.

She maintained that firm grip all the way to a 6-3, 5-1 lead as Parry's intermittent forehand winners were outweighed by a slew of unforced errors -- 24 in total -- as she was unable to consistently hit through Swiatek. But with her back to the wall, the Frenchwoman suddenly produced her best tennis.

Using her slice to extend points and keep Swiatek on the move, Parry won two games in a row, saving a first match point on Swiatek's serve with a terrific forehand winner. Swiatek, though, quickly adjusted, winning two key lungbusters on Parry's serve at 5-3 to help her over the line on her fourth match point.

"I think how I adjusted to the slices and how I got them back," Swiatek said to press of what she was pleased with. "There weren't many situations where I felt out of rhythm while playing them, which is not easy because she has a good slice. She uses it a lot."

Swiatek said it felt like a flashback to playing former No. 1 Ashleigh Barty, who's signature shot was the slice. The Pole went 0-2 against Barty, with one match on hard court and the other on clay.

"Honestly, yeah. Sometimes when I played down the line, she was killing me with the forehand," Swiatek added. "I felt 'Oh my God, that's exactly what [I've felt before]. On the other hand, I was preparing for Ash then and it gave me some confidence."

Up next for Swiatek is a familiar foe in No. 2 seed Elena Rybakina, as the two will meet for the second time in eight days following Swiatek's straight sets victory to win the title in Toronto. The matchup is also another edition of last year's Cincinnati semifinal, which Swiatek won 7-5, 6-3.


Rybakina defeated No. 14 seed Diana Shnaider 6-4, 6-4 behind eight aces and winning 41-of-48 (85%) of her first service points. She also saved all seven break points faced, and notched a timely break in each set. For the second straight year and third overall, Rybakina has reached the last eight in Cincinnati.

"I think that my serve worked and helped me quite a lot this match because I didn't start too good, and I feel the serve did the job," Rybakina said. "Altogether -- the toss, push with the legs, rotation -- just all together."

Compared to Toronto, Rybakina has yet to drop a set in Cincinnati and is likely much more fresh than the effect of four-set matches and late night finishes had ahead of her Toronto final vs. Swiatek, who showcased her best tennis all season in Canada.

"It's tough to say that I'm much fresher but we will see how it's going to be tomorrow," Rybakina said. "I got some good sleep last two nights because after Canada it was really tough straight away. We will just see tomorrow."

"I feel no matter the results, it's a good preparation for upcoming US Open to play someone who is in a good form right now and playing well," Rybakina added. "My serve wasn't that good in Canada so if I can serve at least as I did today, it will be very helpful."


Another really solid match from Iga. 

Did a great job dealing with the slices coming from Parry, not easy having to stay low when you're tired but she managed it all well. 

Stayed patient and calm once more. The lengthy rallies were so impressive and something I've very much missed from Iga this past year.  

This will be the 2nd time this tournament she plays back to back matches. 

And now she'll face Rybakina once more, a much more rested Rybakina who hasn't lost a set and hasn't had to play lengthy 3 setters. So I expect this one to be a lot closer (maybe with a breaker) possibly a 3 setter. 

But if Iga has a good start as she did in Toronto I really think she'll manage it (despite the first night match and all). 

Definitely can't afford a slow start like today giving away the fist game. But I think she'll come ready to fight.

She's in the very tough part of the draw, but what better way to prove to yourself that you're doing well then by facing tough tests. Especially right before the U.S. Open.

Jazda Iga stay strong and keep going!.

30 (2) - Iga Swiatek is the fourth-youngest player to reach 30 Tier I / WTA-1000 quarter-finals since the format’s introduction in 1990, older only than Martina Hingis, Agnieszka Radwanska and Maria Sharapova. Diamond.


30 (1) - Since the format’s introduction in 2009, only Serena Williams (45) and Agnieszka Radwanska (46) have made 30 WTA-1000 quarter-finals from fewer appearances than Iga Swiatek (48). Hurried.

9 consecutive wins in the season and in Cincy

No comments: