Thursday, August 06, 2026

Iga Swiatek scores another solid win in Toronto


For the second round in a row, No. 7 seed Iga Swiatek conceded just three games to advance at the National Bank Open. The 2023 semifinalist sped past Viktorija Golubic 6-2, 6-1 in 66 minutes to book her place in the fourth round.1d ago

Golubic occupies a rare place in Swiatek's career lore: she's the only player who has ever defeated the Pole in the first round of a Grand Slam. But that was back at Wimbledon 2019, when Swiatek was just 18 years old. The former World No. 1 has not lost to Golubic in three matches since, and conceded just five games to her in their last two encounters.

"For sure it was a good day, and I'm really happy with the way I played," Swiatek said in her on-court interview. "Even though the first game wasn't super smooth, I knew I can start from the beginning, and then it went my way and I could find my rhythm."

Swiatek will next face either No. 10 seed Marta Kostyuk or No. 19 seed Madison Keysas she bids to reach her second quarterfinal in Canada.

Drop shots provide highlights for both: Though Swiatek dropped serve in the first game of the match, once she had broken back immediately the contest was largely one-way traffic. The six-time major champion landed 18 winners to Golubic's five and conceded just 14 points on serve -- including that opening break.

But there were still some spectacular moments from both players to entertain the Toronto crowd. Golubic came up with the first, delivering enthralling variety and finishing with a half-volleyed pickup pass in a 25-stroke first-set exchange to hold for the first time. Swiatek may have been inspired: the 25-year-old has eschewed the drop shot for many years, but she came up with a brilliant one en route to breaking Golubic for 2-0 in the second set.

For the most part, though, Swiatek managed to keep a lid on Golubic's variety and shotmaking abilities.

"I think I played back her slice pretty well, so the change of rhythm didn't bother me that much," she said in her press conference. "I tried to pick the right balls to attack because I was controlling the pace, it was just about the decision making."

wtatennis.com

 Another good win for Iga today, sure Golubic doesn't really have any weapons to hurt Iga but she can be tricky with all the different spins and speeds of the ball. 

I thought Iga handled it superbly, she was patient, in extended rallies and waited for the right shot to finish instead of rushing as she has been of late. 

Something her and her new coach had the chance to work on and it showed. 

That patience is something she's going to need in her next match against Kostyuk who'll definitely force her to rush and take her time away. 

While Kostyuk was impressive in her match against Keys, she definitely wasn't in her first match of this tournement and had quite a few double faults. 

As good a season as Kostyuk has had she's still prone to having these kind of performances, but regardless of which version shows up on Saturday I have a good feeling about it. 

I think Iga might just get the chance for some revenge over Roland Garros this year.

Iga kept her focus all the way though the match as well which was a very encouraging sign. 

Kostyuk will be the true litmus test of this tournament. 

If Iga can get past her, the entire rest of this season might just have some hope for good things to come and that her work really is showing some progress. 

But even if she doesn't as long as I see Iga really fighting and problem solving it'll feel like a win, because at Roland Garros Iga just seemed helpless and give up. 

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about this one.

Jazda Iga!

No comments: