Monday, May 28, 2007

Wise words from Joss Whedon

A few weeks ago Joss Whedon (writer, directer most known for Buffy) wrote an essay like statement on Whedonesque.com in regards to a news story.

I've seen this posted on many other blogs, I think it contains some of the most powerful observations about equality for women and humanity in general and I'm posting it here because I think more people should read it. It's really thought provoking.

I particularly like this paragraph:

"I have never had any faith in humanity. But I will give us props on this: if we can evolve, invent and theorize our way into the technologically magical, culturally diverse and artistically magnificent race we are and still get people to buy the idiotic idea that half of us are inferior, we’re pretty amazing. Let our next sleight of hand be to make that myth disappear".

Also here is YouTube video of Joss receiving an award from Equality Now (last year). I find his acceptance speech highly amusing and quite moving at the same time.

It always amazes me how he can make a powerful point with what seems like a very lengthy rant lol. As Willow would say: "he's a wiz, if ever a wiz there was"

No comments: