Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Kelly Clarkson in control and loving it


If you've been reading my blog you all know I'm a big Kelly Clarkson fan, I've mentioned how much I'm looking forward to her new album My December a number of times. What I haven't mentioned is how big of a struggle this album became for Kelly creatively.

When the music exec's first heard Kelly's latest effort, they really didn't like it because they thought it was too dark. I remember reading that they wanted her to at one point scrap the whole thing!. I guess they wanted her to make a copy of her previous one.

That's all the labels do nowadays, make copies of the originals. Pretty soon there will be no music labels because everyone will be independent.

The latest issue of Entertainment Weekly has a revealing in-depth interview with Kelly about these very issues. It's quite a good read actually.

Here are some of my favourite bits:

"So when Clarkson decided not to reunite with any of the producers who helped craft that record's five ultra-catchy top 20 singles, insiders say that BMG Label Group's chairman, 40-year music veteran Clive Davis, sat on My December for four months, hoping she'd change her mind. She wouldn't".

Ok, gotta say gutsy move, yet somehow I think she made the right choice. Now I really know her album will not end up like Avril's latest effort.

I love the answer she gives in regards to her weight. Right on Kelly!. More people should have this attitude, especially in the world of (skinny) celebrities.

"Some of the songs are not what 10-year-olds are probably going to listen to. But we all go through situations for certain reasons, and I think we should share that. This record is more intense, it's more raw, it's more emotional. But it's not that different. It's not Metallica".


I'm actually loving the fact that this new album is going to be darker and more on the brooding side. Every artist has those times where things are not all hunky-dory, and I applaud her for not being afraid to explore that on her album. Now I really can't wait to hear it!.

And I also have to add, kudos to Kelly for not sticking with the norm and conforming to the labels wishes. That's one of the things I really like about her she continues to breakaway from the whole American Idol mold and is truly evolving as an artist in her own right. Which I think is something that only she has been able to do successfully, ok her and maybe Carrie Underwood.

As for her album sales, well there's no telling how they'll do, but I know one thing for sure I'll be the first in line to purchase my copy:).

No comments: