Sunday, May 06, 2007

Kim makes it official


Well this is my first bit of tennis news for the month and unfortunately it's of the sad variety. In the past I have said how sad it'll be when Kim Clijster's retires after Wimbledon.

Well it seems that day arrived sooner then expected. On Sunday night Kim announced on her website that she's retiring from professional tennis effective immediately, due to her chronic back, knee and wrist injuries.

It's really tragic to see a player who's only 23 years old retire so early. And it once again makes me question the grueling schedule the players are forced to keep throughout the year. I really hope something is done about that in the future, or there will be a lot more early retirements to come.

I think it's safe to say that her comradery with all the WTA players, her unique style of play and high but friendly competitiveness will be sorely missed on tour. And I will certainly miss her rivalry with Martina Hingis.

Goodbye Kim, I wish you much success in all your personal endeavors. You will be missed:(.

Read the related article

No comments: