Saturday, September 05, 2026

Iga Swiatek fights past Bouzkova to make it to U.S. Open 4th round for the 6th straight year





Iga Swiatek won two tiebreaks in a single match for the first time in her career Saturday, outlasting No. 25 seed Marie Bouzkova

7-6 (3), 7-6 (3) in 2 hours and 27 minutes to reach the US Open fourth round for the sixth straight year.

"It got pretty physical," Swiatek said in her on-court interview. "[There were] many long rallies, and sometimes I had to attack many times because Marie was defending really well and getting every ball back -- also using her opportunities when she had a chance. I just wanted to be solid and play one more ball in and not aim too much. It was really tricky."

Despite being pushed throughout and having to save three set points in the second set, Swiatek remains undefeated against Bouzkova at the WTA Tour Driven by Mercedes-Benz level. She leads the head-to-head 4-0 and hasn't dropped a set. She has now won 13 of her last 14 matches overall, losing only to Jessica Pegula in the Cincinnati semifinals.

It was an unusual victory for Swiatek beyond the first-time scoreline. Her serve wavered -- she won just 60% of her first-serve points and was broken five times -- but the rest of her game held firm. She excelled at the net, winning 15 of 17 points, and finished with 35 winners, 15 more than Bouzkova. She also punished the Czech's second serve, winning 64% of those points to secure five breaks of her own.

The match itself was a break-fest. Swiatek was the first to hold for 3-2 in the opening set before Bouzkova answered for 3-all. After breaking for 6-5, Bouzkova served for the set, but broke again to force the tiebreak. Bouzkova double-faulted to hand Swiatek a mini-break at 2-0, and the Pole closed it out from there.

Bouzkova nearly forced a decider, leading 6-5 as Swiatek served to reach another tiebreak. The Czech held three set points, the last saved by a Swiatek volley winner. It proved her final opening, as Swiatek grabbed the mini-break on the first point of the breaker and never looked back.

"I tried not to think of these points as set points. I tried to play them as I would any other point. I didn't want to create too much pressure," Swiatek said in her post-match press conference. "Obviously if I'm focused well, I don't know what the score is. So that's the time in the match where I can just focus on my tasks, and then I can be more consistent no matter what the score is.

"It wasn't easy to do that today, but that's how I felt in the tiebreaks, as well."

Swiatek is now 7-2 in tiebreaks in her US Open career.

The win sets up a box-office fourth-round matchup with Zheng Qinwen, who saved a match point and rallied from 5-0 down to defeat No. 22 seed Madison Keys
 earlier Saturday. Swiatek has won seven of their eight meetings, losing only at the 2024 Olympics in Paris.

And for what it's worth: Swiatek is undefeated against qualifiers and lucky losers at Grand Slams (15-0).

wtatennis.com

This was supposed to be a nice relaxing match for me to watch, instead it turned into quite a rollercoaster. Last person I expected to turn a match into such a physical one was Bouzkova. 

Though I suppose Iga is partly to blame as she didn't want to pull the trigger and instead was happy to extend rallies with Bouzkova all day long. 

The fact she was able to do that speaks volumes in terms of progress. Iga of earlier this year probably would have looked for shortcuts and got frustrated and overhit. 

But new Iga is patient as the day is long :D. 

If this was the beginning of this year this match would have been dragged to a 3 setter with Iga probably losing. 

I was actually quite impressed with her concentration throughout despite the many breaks of serve in the match. And how clutch she was in the tiebreakers. 

She had a clear plan and stuck with it. 

Maybe she wanted to feel the ball more knowing that tougher opposition is to come. Honestly can't remember last time Iga won so many points at net.

Zhang Qinwen next, the woman responsible for the heartbreak of Iga losing at the Olympics at her favourite venue of Roland Garros. 

I'm certain Iga's fans still have nightmares about it, that match changed a lot of things for Iga it made her doubt herself more. 

Granted it's been quite a few years since the 2 have faced off, both are in very different places career wise. 

Iga is a 6 time Grand Slam Champion and Zhang has been sidelined by injuries and had to play qualifying just to get into the draw. 

Which does make her even more dangerous. 

Because she's able to play with a lot more freedom feeling like she has nothing to lose. 

I think the match will come down to who has the better start, and who holds their nerve better in the key moments.

I have faith that Iga's new coach will help prepare her well.

Jazda!

No comments: