Monday, October 19, 2009

DWTS 9: Week 5 Argentine Tango & Paso Doble

The Paso Doble has always been my favourite dance in the show. And now I know why it's because it seems to bring out the best in all competitors.

Same with the Argentine Tango. Both are the type of dances that can make you, or break you as many couples found out tonight.

The show ended with The Hustle the first group dance of the season. The 70's wardrobe and hair, the flips, kicks, and tricks, so much fun!. But let's talk about the dancing itself.

Alec & Natalie did a modern looking Paso Doble which was good, but like the judges I thought it really lacked the passion and aggression that it's known for. Still 22/30 is a decent score.

Karina & Aaron made a comeback with an assertive, controlled and precise Argentine Tango. Nothing over the top just very basic traditional steps.

The judges enjoyed it, although I honestly thought he deserved higher then 24/30.

Anna & Michael Yay!. He finally looked like a real dancer tonight. And although I have seen crisper movements in past season's Paso Doble's, kudos Michael, kudos for becoming a competitor at last.

Plenty of emotion too. Well done!. However, with a score of 21/30 the lowest of the night.

I'm not sure it'll be enough to put him through to next week. It may be too little too late.

Dmitry & Mya continued to turn it on tonight with a sultry Argentine Tango that earned them the second highest score of 27/30.

I'm starting to think she's going to stick around for the long hull.

Lacey & Mark I have been saying since the start of the season that I wanted him to stay so he could do the Paso Doble, because something told me he would do well with that particular style.

I love being right :). His Paso Doble did not disappoint. Though he didn't receive as high a score as I would have liked 26/30 (what's with the 8 Bruno?).

Still a nice result that put them into third place on the judges leader board.

Side note: Lacey loved your Halloween inspired hairdo! lol.

Kym & Donny Well what do you know?, Donny forged ahead of the pack tonight with an impressive Argentine Tango his best dance to date.

His first 10's of the season, and a total of 29/30 put him in first place. He might just make it as far as his sister.

Providing he stops flirting with Bruno that is. It was fun the first time now it's just getting old.

Chelsie & Louie had a much better week with the Argentine Tango. I agree with the judges his feet still haven't completely found the rhythm yet.

But at least he had the right attitude, and even did a bit of acting for the dance. Nice going, keep it up!. 22/30 isn't great (and might land him in the bottom 2), but I think he'll make it another week.

Mark & Melissa her quality dropped some from last week, she lost her footing several times (according to the judges) during her Argentine Tango, though I can't say I noticed.

Mark having the flu might have been the major contributing factor since it effected rehearsal time.

But I thought she did a great job regardless. After last week she's shown she can compete so I hope she stays. With 23/30 her fans will have to get dialing.

Louis & Kelly did a rock Paso Doble to an Ozzy Osborne tune, which could not having been easy. And while it may not have been perfect in the judges eyes, it still looked pretty awesome nonetheless. And at least she got a point higher then last week.

Maks & Joanna with Derek out with the flu Maks filled in to do the Argentine Tango (is it me or were there more Argentine Tango's then Paso's tonight?).

Props to Joanna for a very sharp dance despite having a new partner. Also props for pulling off great chemistry as well.

She seems to have a natural ability for picking up new choreography very quickly. That could take her all the way to the finish.

Despite a supposed stumble/trip which I again failed to notice, she continues to impress me. And I love watching her training footage. Great sense of humor!.

No guesses on who might go this week, but I'm hoping for Michael again. With 24/30 he may need a few extra votes.

No comments: