Friday, January 04, 2008

Martina Hingis found guilty receives 2-year ban


Well, I was hoping to start the year with something positive, especially since it's my first post.

But, as I'm sure many of you are aware in life things don't always work out the way you expect. Such is the case for tennis star Martina Hingis.

Who received some bad news regarding her drug accusations from last year.

It was announced today that she has been found guilty by an independent Anti-Doping Tribunal and as a result has received a 2-year ban from the sport by the International Tennis Federation.

Which really makes no difference seeing as she retired at the end of last year. She's also being asked to return all the prize money earned at Wimbledon.

To make matters worse the tribunal rejected both of Hingis's pleas in regards to the drug sample.

I don't know much about court proceeding when it comes to sports but I find the independent Anti-Doping Tribunal a little weird. I'm inclined to think they're not as independent as they claim.

And I don't know about the rest of you but the conspiracy theorist in me refuses to believe that drug sample was hers. I still think there was some sort of set up going on to ruin her reputation and her unblemished record, so to speak which is exactly what this whole fiasco achieved.

Despite all this to me she will always be one of the greatest players of the sport, someone who's irreplaceable and always worthy of my respect.

Article Source

No comments: