Monday, June 26, 2006

Rain delay first day at Wimbledon

Which is nothing new of course considering it's England and that's pretty much to be expected. All the players played a total of less then an hour, before the rain set in. Martina Hingis is off to a good start she has won the first set 6-2 against Olga Suvchak.

Took a little work to get the set point but she finally got it at set point #5. From what I have read she started off a little shaky but quickly got into the groove after a couple of games. I of course did not get to see Martina play the first 4 points because TSN was covering Federer first.

So I only got to see her play 2 of those 6 games in the first set. Coverage started at 4/2. Oh, well hopefully as the tournament goes on they'll show Martina's matches in their entirety.

For the time being it has stopped raining and tennis officials expect to continue the play today. But it's England so again not holding my breath.

Rain is actually expected for the next 3 days. I hope that's not true or that will really mess up Martina's schedule just like it did at Roland Garros. Hope it doesn't happen the girl needs a break. She's had bad luck at Grand Slams this year I think, well except for Aussie Open.

I'm really excited about Wimbledon this year, Agassi is suppose to play tomorrow and I can't wait haven't seen him play for a long time.

As for Martina well I think she's got a real chance. Her main advantage is the skill she has at the net. Very few players are as good as her at the net. So with her volleying ability and court finesse who knows how far she'll go.

My prediction would be quarter finals again but I also think she could actually make it to the semis. We shell wait and see. Now all I have to do is wait out this dreadful rain lol. Hopefully I'll have some photos of the match later in the day.

No comments: