Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Clijsters prevails over Hingis at Roland Garros:(

Well Kim Clijsters has once again won the head to head for the second time this year in the quarters, the first time being the quarters of the Australian earlier in the year. Now you gotta give credit to Martina because she hang in there the best she could.

And when Clijsters was leading 5/2 she came back and evened things out. No doubt to Clijsters making some unforced errors. Then Clijsters won the tie break 7/6. In the second set Kim made hardly any errors dominated and won it easily 6/1. With the way Clijsters is playing I'm really surprised she still plans to retire in 2007.

I honestly think Martina just had an off day, she didn't seem to have much energy today. There are reports about her not feeling well, the French Open site says she had food poisoning. The ESPN commentators say she has the flu. Well whatever it was it definitely effected her performance.

Because she was not playing the way she was prior to the quarters. She was just not able to run down the balls like she has been doing. And like I said in my post yesterday she did look tired to me even in her last 2 press conferences.

And if she was sick well that would certainly explain it. Martina herself did not confirm nor deny any physical illness. But obviously she did not want to say anything, because she didn't want to blame her loss on an illness didn't want the players to think that I guess.

That's the way she is. The only thing she mentioned that was tough on her and I wholeheartedly agree is the tough schedule of having to play 4 straight matches in a row with no rest and not much time to recover. I think that was really one of the biggest factors

Having said all of that, I am very happy with her result at The French I mean yes I'm disappointed and I'm sure Hingis is too.

But she can definitely be proud of what she accomplished. She made it all the way to the quarters of Roland Garros with a horrible draw, a tough schedule and she's only been playing for 6 months.

In those 6 months she went from being ranked in the 300's to number 15 in the world. She has won the Italian Open, and beat several players in the top ten. All in a very short span of time. That's certainly nothing to sneeze at.

At least now Martina will finally have time to recover a bit, before heading off to Wimbledon in 3 weeks where she can start fresh. So I wish her a speedy recovery and all the best in the upcoming tournament.

And I'll just end this with what one of the French reports said at Martina's post match conference. The fans don't care that you lost they're just happy to see you back playing tennis again. And that's exactly how I feel.

No comments: