Thursday, June 29, 2006

Bell Canada to turn into peeping Tom??

Ok I guess first before I get into anything else, I better explain to all the international readers of this blog what Bell Canada is:). And no it is in no way related to Bell South. Bell Canada is a Canadian Telecommunications Company.

Which has an Internet division called Bell Sympatico. One of Canada's largest Internet service providers. Ok hopefully that clears things up.

And I also want to say before I get into any details that I'm not paranoid or anything but the geek in me found this whole issue quite interesting.

On to the nitty gritty in a recent article from ctv.ca it was revealed that the federal government plans to revive an Internet surveillance bill. A bill which would allow police access to personal information without a warrant.

These new changes are supposedly reflected in Bell Sympatico's new customer service agreement which was changed June 15, 2006.

According to the article Sympatico has informed it's customers that it will monitor a users activity and disclose information necessary to satisfy any laws, regulations and government requests.

Which I find interesting because Bell Canada and Bell Sympatico websites don't even have a press release to inform their costumers of all these changes directly as of the time of this blog post.

I find it interesting that they went to the media but the company itself didn't bother to inform it's costumers directly.

And just for the record I have nothing to hide but I don't like the idea of a corporation spying on me every now and then. It is not cool.

Once again feel free to comment please. Shhh, Bell may be watching or reading. Keep watching for further updates on this issue.

Here is the article I'm talking about.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060627/sympatico_internet_060627?s_name=&no_ads=

Note: Bell Canada has a media division which owns CTV News.

No comments: