Monday, November 23, 2009

DWTS 9: Week 10 Finals

Before I get on with tonight's re-cap I just have to say that I was not at all happy with last week's results.

Though I feared that Joanna's fan base may not be as large as Donny and Kelly's I still hoped she would somehow make it through (solely on her dancing skills).

But alas it was not to be.

Kelly & Louis
started the night off with an Argentine Tango that made me glad she made it all the way to the end.

It was sharp, and in character through-out, something she has been lacking in most of her routines.

Len loved it, Bruno wanted a little more sizzle and Carrie Ann (who came in to give them pointers during their training) thought it was a really good sophisticated routine.

All of them agreed that Kelly (who unlike the remaining competitors) has no dance training is the most improved one this season.

Have to agree 100%. Being on this show has really made her come out of her shell. It's been really fun watching her become more confident as the show progressed. Her final score was 26/30.

Dmitry & Mya did a Paso Doble the judges thought was worthy of a perfect score. Carrie Ann dubbed her the 'queen of Paso Doble'.

Len (who came in to give the two pointers) thought it equalled Mel B.'s and Max's (of season 5). I have to disagree.

While I did think it had the right intensity and all the right steps, it was no where near Mel and Max's power charged Paso.

Donny & Kym Ok, I'm with Carrie Ann on this one where did the sudden hip movement ability come from Donny?. Kudos!.

You've proved you can Cha Cha with the best of them (Bruno must have given you some very good pointers!). He earned himself 27/30.

Next it was time for something new. A mega mix group dance where all the contestants danced 3 different styles side by side for judges points.

Donny & Kym did the Viennese Waltz earning them 2nd place with 28 points.
Kelly & Luis came in 3rd with 26 points for their Jive.
Unsurprisingly Mya and Dmitry won 1st place and the most points (30) for their Samba.

Then it was time for my favourite part (and the reason I watch this show to the very end), the free-style.

Kelly & Louis were up first with their dance. Kelly had a slight fumble, but covered it well by enjoying the heck out of it.

Which is another positive progress point. Had this happened a few weeks ago I'm sure she would have either completely frozen, or forgotten half the steps.

Instead she recovered and moved right along. Her recovery skills weren't enough to garner her high scores however. She only received 24 for an overall total of 76/90.

Mya & Dmitry's "Hair Spray" inspired free-style disappointed the judges. Which I had a feeling might happen since I read somewhere that many people expect Kelly to be the winner.

Still it didn't prepare me for the lackluster feeling I got from watching their routine.

I think the judges and myself expected something mind blowingly awesome (a little bit more risk with the tricks and flips perhaps).

What we got instead was a complete bore-fest choreography-wise. Which is exactly why I'm still pissed Derek didn't make the finals.

I know he would have come up with something much more worthy of one. I have a feeling it would have been something akin to season 5's Helio Castronevez "Mask" inspired number on the excitement scale.

I think Dmitry is going to regret not going with Mya's choreography idea instead of his.

With all that said they still got 27/30 and an overall total of 87/90 putting them at the top of the leader board. But will it be enough to get them the trophy?.

Donny & Kym's traditional Jazz/Vegas inspired free-style finally got them a perfect score, and nothing but praise from the judges. An overall score of 85/90 put them in second place on the board.

Once again I thought it looked very good but seemed to lack a certain something, and as a result felt kind of blah. Sorry Kim, guess I'm just not gonna get over Derek getting the boot one week shy of the finals.

It's really anyone's guess as to who the winner will be. But I have a feeling it'll come down to who has the biggest fan base rather then who is the better dancer.

No comments: