Friday, June 13, 2008

Martina Hingis says no to 2nd career comeback

Former Wimbledon champion Martina Hingis will not return to the WTA Tour once her doping ban ends.

The 27-year-old Swiss retired in November last year following a positive test for cocaine at Wimbledon.

She is currently serving a two-year ban from competitive tennis and has always denied taking drugs.

On the issue of a possible return, Hingis told BBC Radio Merseyside: "No, tennis has been my life but there is life after tennis."


Hingis, who has retired once before, added that she is adapting well to life away from the Tour.

"I don't really miss all the travelling and spending time in hotel rooms. It's nice to be at home with the family.

"There comes a time when I really feel like I have to move, because sport has always been a big part of my life.

"When you don't have that you get a little nervous and think, OK I have to go and do something."

She is playing an exhibition match at the Liverpool International Tennis Tournament against Jana Novotna - a repeat of the 1997 Wimbledon final.

Hingis was victorious that day to become the youngest ever champion at the All England Club.

The five-time Grand Slam winner added that it is a day she will always remember.

"It is a memory that will last forever with me, probably more today than when I was holding up the plate.

"You look at the photos today and I think 'wow I was really so young'."

Source

Well, I can't say I'm surprised with her answer. As sad as I am about her not returning to the tour, it's good to finally know the answer once and for all.

Although a part of me was hoping (and will probably always hope) that she changes her mind. What can I say?, I'm hopeless lol.

But, I guess like she said in the article it's time for her to move on. I'm glad she's at least continuing to give back by playing in charity exhibitions.

This way she'll never be completely away from the sport and it still gives her fans a chance to see her once in a while.

I just wish those exhibitions were more widely covered *sigh*.

Anyway, I have no doubt that whatever endeavours she decides to undertake (coaching perhaps?) she will be just as successful as she has been in her tennis career.

No comments: