Thursday, September 10, 2009

Ellen Degeneres replaces Paula as 4th American Idol judge!

Ellen DeGeneres will join Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi as the fourth judge on “American Idol” next winter, Fox announced on Wednesday evening.

The announcement comes after Paula Abdul said last month that she would leave the program ahead of its ninth season, which is scheduled to start in January 2010.

Ms. DeGeneres, the popular daytime talk show host, will join the famous judges’ panel after the auditions, which are currently taking place in cities around the country.

“I’m thrilled to be the new judge on American Idol,” Ms. DeGeneres said in a statement. “I’ve watched since the beginning, and I’ve always been a huge fan. So getting this job is a dream come true, and think of all the money I’ll save from not having to text in my vote.”

Update: 10:01 p.m.: The Associated Press reports:

DeGeneres told her talk show audience in an episode scheduled to air Thursday that she would not abandon her Emmy-winning chatfest, but would have “a day job and a night job.”

“The times we’re living in,” she quipped, “we’re all doing that.”

“Hopefully, I’m the people’s point of view because I’m just like you,” DeGeneres said on her show. “I sit at home and I watch it, and I don’t have that technical … I’m not looking at it in a critical way from the producer’s mind. I’m looking at it as a person who is going to buy the music and is going to relate to that person.”

Source: nytimes.com

Ok, wow. I have to say when I first read this I seriously thought it was a joke. Not that I'm not thrilled mind you (I've been a fan of Ellen for years and think she's absolutely awesome!).

This just seems so out of left field for AI producers. On the one hand I see it as a very smart (and sure) way to boost up the ratings. Given how large Ellen's fan base is.

But on the other hand Ellen is a comedian and has no music (producing) background.

Then again that didn't do any good in Paula Abdul's case, so maybe the producers are on to something after all.

Ellen is not only funny, but also a people person, so she'll be the voice of the people so to speak (when it comes to the talent).

I'm just not sure how exactly they'll make this work though, since having four judges proved to be problematic last season.

With some major time constraint issues.

As an Ellen fan I gotta say I'm very curious to see how this will all turn out.

And it should be interesting for Ellen herself having to pull double duty with her show during the day and AI in the evening.

Just when you thought she scored it big with hosting the Oscars, she gets an equally impressive gig. There really is nothing this woman can't do!. Congrats :).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with you on Ellen being an Idol Judge Lurker. Ellen is the best! I guess she'll be there for the people's perspective and definately add a humourous edge!

Thanks for keeping me in the loop!

Enjoy the last few days of summer!

- OCG

Lurker said...

No problem :).