Monday, September 21, 2009

DWTS 9: Week 1 Men's Night Foxtrot & Cha-Cha

Here we go with the brand new season of Dancing with the Stars. The guys were the first out of the gate, the girls are on tomorrow.

This year we've got 16 competitors instead of the usual 11 (I guess ABC decided it was time to finally take a page from the original British version
Strictly Come Dancing).

I have to say when I first heard who the guys were I wasn't too excited. But after watching them dance I do have a few faves already.

At the moment Aaron Carter and Mark Dacascos are the real stand-outs for me.

Well, there's Donny Osmond as well, but I find that he sometimes goes a little over the top with the showmanship. Which detracts from the actual dancing itself.

In the second half of the show all the contestants faced off in a dance relay with the Salsa and Viennese Waltz.

Which was a first usually these types of things are done deep into the competition, so this was a bit surprising but fun nonetheless.


Chuck Liddell (UFC Fighter) & Anna Trebunskaya I thought the Foxtrot was weak, but there was definite potential in the relay Salsa number. With more practice he could go far.

Mark Dacascos (iron chef host/actor) & Lacey Schwimmer these two seem like a good match.

They have definite chemistry. I thought their Kung-Fu Cha-Cha was very inventive and highly entertaining (the costumes certainly helped).

I do agree with Len he does need to be careful not to go over the line too much between Kung-Fu and dance.

The guy has some major muscles which on a dance show could be a real plus (am I right ladies? ;). He's definitely another one with real potential.

Ashley Hamilton & Edyta Sliwinska this guy needs a lot of work, but could turn into a real contender if he sticks around.

He's got one thing going for him that his dad didn't, he's a lot more handsome. There's something about him I really like.

Might be that he's an underdog of sorts (the judges are not big fans of his thus far), or maybe part of me really wants to root for him after hearing his story. But either way I hope he gets more chances in the weeks to come.

Also can I have a yay! for Edyta not being stuck with another football player.

Seriously, who thinks Edyta finally put in a 'no football players' clause in her contract?.

On second thought she does have a talent when it comes to working with big bulky guys (a talent the new professional may not possess). More on that later.


Donny Osmond & Kym Johnson As I mentioned above his showmanship can be a bit much at times, and I didn't think his Foxtrot was all that.

But he did do an awesome job in the Salsa Relay. There are no worries in terms of him getting through since like his sister Marie, he's got a huge fan base.

Louie Vito (snow border) & Chelsie Hightower another unique pair. This guy is definitely not a dancer but could turn into one with more training. I think he'll be interesting to watch.

Michael Irvin (Former NHL Football player) & Anna Demidova nothing special with this guy, he looked slow and clunky on the dance floor (but the fact that he hardly had any content to work with could have something to do with it).

Why is it that the professionals are always afraid to give the footballers more to work with. Edyta Sliwinska has proven that many of them can dance. I'd say the new proffessional dancer has her work cut out for her.

Tom DeLay (politician) & Cheryl Burke even though I admit this guy did have moments of great potential I don't see him going very far.

In fact I think poor Cheryl got the short end of the stick this time (and no it has nothing to do with his age or lack of sex appeal).

Aaron Carter & Karina Smirnoff I've saved the best for last. Out of all the guys I think Aaron has the biggest chance at doing very well in the show.

He used to annoy the hell out of me as a little kid, but has grown on me in recent years. He's definitely got the most talent. I think he'll be a lot of fun to watch.

Looking forward to seeing what the ladies have in store.

No comments: