Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Trials and tribulations of installing a new modem




Wow, it seems like forever since I've updated, well that's what happens when your ISP suddenly decides to change their modems. Any technological change for me always leads to frustration and this time was no exception.

It was suppose to be a simple swap, and instead turned into a 7 day nightmare. After hours of waiting and talking to tech support no one could figure out why my spiffy new DSL modem didn't want to connect to the Internet when the hardware seemed fine.

What was first perceived to be a major issue turned out to be a combination of pure simplicity, stupidity and miscommunication.

A simple misspelling of an account password (by one letter no less!). Another perfect example of why when it comes to technology you should always look at the obvious instead of the more complicated.

Good thing I took the initiative and called after a week of waiting 'cause something tells me I would have waited another week otherwise. If I never talk to another tech person again it'll be too soon.

Taking the initiative wasn't that hard really, if I had to wait another week I think I might have gone insane with boredom. In any case it's good to be back :).

No comments: