Thursday, September 13, 2007

Catching up

So, I know that it's a week late due to my Internet issues, but who saw the conclusion of the U.S. Open Tennis Championships this year?. I decided to check out both the women's and the men's.

I usually don't follow the rest of the tournament after my favourite loses but I decided to make an exception this time and I am so glad I did, because it was definitely one exciting weekend!.

Justine Henin beat both Williams sisters (hell yes!) back to back to reach the final then she proceeded to trash Svetlana Kuznetsova in 2 easy sets winning her 7th grand slam title.

The most unsurprising thing about the Williams loss?, Serena Williams, less then gracious loser speech during her post match press conference:

"I just think she made a lot of lucky shots and I made a lot of errors," Williams said at her news conference".

"I really don't feel like talking about it. It's like I don't want to get fined. That's the only reason I came. I can't afford to pay the fines because I keep losing".


Source

These quotes just affirm my dislike of this player, granted she has never been known to lose in a graceful fashion, much less admit when she is outplayed but with these statements she reached a new low.

I always knew there was a reason I liked Venus better then Serena (though in general I could care less about both), but at least Venus still knows the meaning of the word class. Serena needs to go and look up the meaning of the word in a dictionary.

But enough about that let's talk about the invincible Roger Federer, seriously could this man be anymore classy and amazing?, and perhaps more importantly can he ever be beat? lol. It seems Nadal remains the only man who can still put a chink in Roger's armor.

Mr. Federer won his 4th consecutive U.S. Open by beating a Serbian hot shot and 3rd seed Novak Djokovich in 3 thrilling sets. After watching Novak play, he's definitely become a favourite of mine, I have no doubt that he's got a promising career ahead.

With this win Roger set another record ( I know what else is new right? lol), becoming only the second man in the open era to win the U.S. Open 4 times in a row.

The win give him his 12th grand slam title, bringing him that much closer to tying Pete Sampras's record of 14. Something tells me Roger is up to the challenge. Now to be fair this win certainly wasn't a cake walk.

Djokovic actually had ample chances to win the match (7 to be exact) and each time Roger pulled through denying his opponent the opportunity. I think for the first time in a while I actually enjoyed the men's final more then the women's.

And say what you will about Roger Federer, but there's honestly no denying that the man is the best in the sport. Especially after this win, I have no idea how he pulled it off, how he continues to pull off tough matches under intense pressure.

Well, I guess that's what makes him a true champion. Ok, now that I got all of that off my chest lol, enjoy some pics of Roger in his stylish black outfit. You gotta love a Champion who knows how to dress.




No comments: