Thursday, September 20, 2007

"Across the Universe" rant




Ok, so lately I've been completely bonkers about a little movie called "Across the Universe". Which stars Evan Rachel Wood (Thirteen, Once and Again).

For those who don't know it's a musical love story composed entirely of songs by the Beatles and takes place in the 60's during the revolution. It is directed by Julie Taymor, the woman responsible for bringing "The Lion King" to the stage.

Not only is this movie a treat for the ears, but it is visually stunning (and so far all I've seen is the trailer!). I can only imagine how much better it'll be once I've actually seen the whole thing on the big screen.

I've already seen some mixed reviews, some think it's brilliant and incredible, some say it's too Disney-like. I say, hey if the Beatles and even Yoko Ono like it. It's gotta be good.

And personally I love the fresh take on the songs. Which leads me to the soundtrack of the same name. The songs are done by unknowns (but soon to be household names I'm sure), Jim Sturgess, Joe Anderson, Dana Fuchs, T.V. Carpio and Evan Rachel Wood.

Who's voice sounds better then ever, and posses a more mature raspy quality. Something that's very evident in the song "It Won't Be Long" which is one of my absolute faves and definitely a stand out along with Jim Sturgess version of "Hey Jude".

Other note worthy songs are "I've Just Seen a Face", "All My Loving", "Happiness is a Warm Gun" and Evan's version of "Blackbird". Can I just say how freakin' happy I am that Evan sings in this movie.

As a long time fan of hers, I've always known she had an incredible voice, and it's about time she showed it off. Part of me is still hoping she'll put out her own CD one of these days, probably won't happen, but hey I can dream can't I? lol.

I would definitely recommend this movie and it's soundtrack to anyone who's not only a fan of the Beatles but is looking for something new and different.

Anyway, there is my Evan Rachel Wood plug for the month lol, you can expect a lot more of those in the future :D. I'm off to listen to "Hey Jude" for the 100th million time this week LOL.

I hope y'all go out and get yourself a copy so you can do the same, I guarantee you'll not regret it.

Here's a little taste of what you can expect:

No comments: