Monday, July 23, 2007

Taking "The Walk" with Hanson part 1


I don't get a chance to do this often, and I've been waiting for this opportunity a very long time so you will all just have to excuse me, while I go all teenager on you and gush about one of my favourite bands, Hanson. Say what you will about these guys but there's no denying that they've worked hard and honed their craft over the years.

I have been a fan of theirs since I was 14 (and no it's not just about the looks, well ok maybe now it is a part of it lol, but overall it's always been about the music). Honestly over the years these 3 guys have gotten better and better.

I think what I like about this band the most is that every album of theirs has a different sound, showing their evolution, and more so since they've split with Island Deaf Jam and started their own recording company (3CG Records).

Hanson's latest album entitled "The Walk" which comes out this Tuesday is by far one of their best pieces of work to date. Three years ago I thought that nothing could top the mellow and brooding sound of "Underneath", but I am happy to say I was wrong. "The Walk" has an even more mature sound and feel, musically and lyrically.

The sound itself ranges from soul to gospel to straight feel good rock and roll with familiar harmonies throughout. I think this latest effort also possess something that went missing on a lot of the songs from "Underneath".

And it is particularly evident on the track called "Great Divide" which is sang with an enormous amount of passion, vigor and conviction (give me goose bumps the first time I heard it). Those three elements bring a wonderful energy to the album that hasn't been heard since "This Time Around" (2000).

"Great Divide" is also one of 3 songs which features the south African children's choir, the other 2 being "Blue Sky" and "Been There Before". Two of my favourite songs on the album. On all 3 of the songs the children's choir blends in effortlessly with the brother's harmonies giving the songs an inspirational feel and energy.

Speaking of harmonies there is plenty of that on this album as on all other Hanson albums. Harmonies are a staple of the band and they always give all their songs that extra 'umph'. This album also showcases some great guitar riffs by Isaac Hanson which demonstrate just how far he has come.

And for the first time ever Zac Hanson sings lead on 6 songs. In terms of vocals Isaac has always been a favourite but after hearing Zac on this album I think that's changed. He's got a great falsetto, might even be better then Taylor's.

I think what's most interesting about this album is it's message of as Hanson themselves describe in one of their podcast "stepping out there and facing the unknown" as well as the message of vulnerability. Something that is perfectly illustrated on the title track.

Every time a new Hanson album is released the question of radio playable songs is always raised. And the truth is Hanson may never have completely radio friendly songs because they keep re-inventing their sound. Which is the only thing any good band should concern themselves with in my opinion. And I appluad them for that.

From what I've been able to gather over the years Hanson is not 'playable' partly because some folks think the use of harmonious "oooh's, aaah's and nanana" sounds in their lyrics shows lack of maturity and or ruins the songs. Personally I don't give a frak, that's always been part of the bands appeal for me. And I think more bands should adapt their sound.

It is a solid piece of work the only thing that could have made it better (at least for me) would be more lead tracks by Ike. And the inclusion of 2 tracks that were on the Japanese release "I am" and "In a Way". Two of my perhaps all time fave songs done by Zac. Hopefully they'll be included on one of their DVD's.

Ok, I think that fills my ranting quota for the year lol. If you haven't got the album yet go out and get it, it'll be worth your while (I'm getting mine tomorrow). Their "Mmmboping" days are far behind them. They've been replaced by 3 guys who sing feel good rock and roll. You can check out the new album on AOL's Listening Party it will be available till next Monday.

No comments: