Monday, July 16, 2007

Fair-feathered friend part 3

Since nothing remotely interesting is going on in my personal life as per usual lol (yeah I know it's sad). I thought I would give y'all another update on my pet cockatiel.

The adjustment period is moving along quite well for my birdie. He's now eating and drinking out of his cage dishes.

I suspect he's been doing that for a while but today was when my mom and I actually noticed it. It also explains why so often when we give him water he doesn't want to drink it. And we also noticed today that he does eat the seeds just not large amounts. So definite progress there.

Last week we give him a bath with one of those mist bottles (for watering plants). I got this idea after seeing a YouTube video that another cockatiel owner put up. Actually I think I even mentioned that in my captions.

Anyway, he thoroughly enjoyed it, he kept lifting his wings so my mom could sprinkle water under them lol. It was a cute sight.

He seemed very content after it was over too, very wet but very happy. I'm actually going to try to tape this little ritual when we do it again this week, because it's just too funny.

Let's see what else, oh yeah my dad is still his favourite person so it's safe to say it'll probably remain that way. But he's definitely not a one person bird and likes spending time with me and my mom.

Although only when he's in a good mood lol. He's still doing the biting thing and won't allow me to touch or scratch him the same way he does my dad. Which is obviously a male/female dominance thing.

But I'm confident that as time goes on, he'll like women just as much, especially if that part I read about cockatiels going through behavioural changes after 2 years is true. Hopefully after a couple of years my mom and I will move to the top of his list.

We are also currently trying to keep him away from perching on our shoulders, because I have read that doing so makes cockatiels feel dominant.

Keeping him on our palms at all times has proven to be quite a challenge, because he keeps escaping to the shoulder.

But we've all noticed that it's effective, and actually makes him less aggressive. So I think we'll stick with it.

As for the food well, anything we eat is still to his liking, in fact whenever we eat he always investigates to see what it is. Doesn't always like it, but is willing to try. And he's getting smarter in terms of knowing our meal times.

Actually he's gotten quite demanding in that respect, especially when it comes to potatoes which he goes absolutely ga-ga over lol. It's really amusing to watch him actually, he attacks the plate of potatoes as if someone was trying to take it away from him at any moment.

He's quite the little character, we're all very glad to have him in our lives, he makes us laugh on a daily basis making each one a little brighter as a result. Yeah, I know that was sappy, what can I say? it's true. :D

Oh, and I apologize for the lack of updates lately but I'm finding July to be a really boring month entertainment or sports-wise. There will be lots to talk about in August though.

No comments: