Monday, June 25, 2007

A new fair-feathered friend

Well I had a pretty good weekend for once. An exciting one. This past Saturday was my mom's birthday, so we (my parents and I) were all in a celebratory mood.

With minimal squabbling lol. Our good moods went into overdrive when my dad brought home a new cockatiel parrot as a present for my mom.

Unsurprisingly he become the life of the party so to speak:), and has been receiving almost undivided attention for the past day and a half.

It's funny but in a way it is almost like bringing a new born from a hospital and everyone ooh's and ahh's over it lol. Watching it's every move. That's what my parents and I have done all weekend long lol.

It is really hard not to though because Cuba (which is the name we give him) is an absolute charmer. Very friendly and fun, yet at the same time very mellow. So unlike the first male cockatiel I had growing up, who was very hyperactive.

It's amazing how such a little thing can bring so much laughter and joy and liven up your household. And though I loved my female cockatiel who died last year:(. I have to say males are so much more entertaining.

This one in particular, he's very affectionate and is becoming quite the little cuddler lol. We're very happy to give him as much love and care as he can stand. He has so many people caring for him in fact, that he can't pick a favourite at the moment lol.

So far all of us have received individual attention. Although I think my dad may have moved up higher on the 'I like you' meter because when he went to sleep last night Cuba noticed he was missing and proceeded to sing until he got a final scratch and a kiss.

Seeing such a little thing perched on the end of the couch singing as loud as he could and staring at the bedroom door where my dad resided was quite an amusing sight. So was the immediate calm that followed when my dad came out.

Yep, Cuba is definitely a character. He's even got a perfect method for getting out of his cage. He'll sing sweetly to anyone who approaches the cage, which will wear you down and eventually you will have no choice but to open it lol.

It's worked on all of us so far, and probably won't stop anytime soon lol. The outside of the cage seems to be his environment of choice, and he'll get out of there any chance he gets, toys and food be damned lol.

Tonight was the first time we noticed him getting more confident and moving around from place to place checking out the territory. He's a very fast learner, as many birds usually are.

I definitely expect him to just fly on to any shoulder or surface (once his flight wings grow back that is). Right now all he can manage is a hop.

We are a little concerned that his food intake is not quite as large as my last bird, but that probably has to do with the fact that my last one was a female and he is a male.

And therefore doesn't have to worry about laying eggs thus requiring less food. So I'm not too concerned yet, plus he is still adjusting so it's understandable.

We are however trying to teach him to eat regular food, instead of just his bird seeds, because they often don't provide all the necessary nutrients and vitamins. Well they do, but birds like anything else, will only eat their favourite things.

He has pretty much rendered us incapable of following our usual daily household routine. We have been glued to him for almost every minute from the time he arrived. And I am certain it will stay that way hopefully for a long time to come.

No comments: