Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Hingis hangs tough in opening day of Wimbledon








hingis.org

Well today (ok technically yesterday since it's after midnight) was Martina's first match after being off court for over a month due to injury.

She was quite rusty which was to be expected. Tennis is not like riding a bike if you don't practice you can't just get back in it and be the best.

It's a very logical and yet today I have heard people both online and the match commentators themselves voicing their disappointment in Hingis's performance. I don't know what they were expecting, hell even the Williams sisters played like crap when they were out with injuries (quite often too).

Geez, the woman only started hitting on the court last week, so I really think we (the fans) have to cut her some slack. Like I said before I had no expectations this time I was just happy to see her play.

Yes this may not have been her best match performance wise, but considering she was playing her first real match in quite a while she did really well. And yes she had a lot of unforced errors and doubles but also plenty of aces and winners.

And I was really happy to see a bit of a fighting spirit towards the end, that's been missing since the end of last year. I admit that the fact she won this match was a combination of what the commentators called guile and simple luck.

And of course she'll have to do better if she wants to move further, but it really wasn't that horrible a start in my opinion.

I actually think part of her fighting spirit came from the fact that she did not want the embarrassment of losing in the opening round of Wimbledon, which I believe has only happened once in her career.

It'll be interesting to see how she handles her next match. Her next opponent is Japan's Aiko Nakamura.

I won't bother summarizing the match this time since I didn't get to see that much of it due to ESPN's poor coverage, big surprise. MySpace Smilies

For anyone who wants to read a summery you can do so on Wimbledon official site.

No comments: