Monday, March 30, 2015

Roger Federer says he'll spend 25 minutes total thinking about loss at Indian Wells

Federer was beaten 6-3 6-7(5) 6-2 by the Serbian world number one, and admitted his frustration at not getting closer to a victory having fought back into the match in fine style.

The Swiss legend was down a set and a break and looked in danger of a huge defeat, but with the crowd cheering his every winner he broke back and then won the second set tie-break - only to get comprehensively dismantled in the final set.

“I definitely felt like they [the fans] wanted to see a third set,” Federer said with a smile.

"I was hoping that was not just for the match itself but for me personally. I hope it was like that, but if it's not, it's cool, too. I get it. They want to see more tennis or more drama."

Having squared things up Federer admitted that he thought he could go all the way and win his 24th Masters series title.

“I was getting the upper hand from the baseline,” he said. “I was making every return, first and second serve, so overall it was the perfect thing to happen.

"That's why I'm even more disappointed that it ended up finishing the way it did. For me, it was totally against the way the match was going.

“He found an extra gear in the end. It was tough. I enjoyed the match; it had a bit of everything. Controlled aggression was the key out there to try to play like that from the baseline.”

Federer insisted that he would not dwell on the defeat, however.

"I’m not going to look back on that match, on that moment very long. That will be forgotten probably in 25 minutes or so," he said.

" When I walk out of here, I will be like, ’It was a good tournament.’ I had a great run, a good start to the season, and wished and hoped I could have won today.

"Novak was tough and he played very well. He deserved it, and I will respect that."

For his part, Djokovic was not concerned about losing the second set - despite having done so by giving up a break, and subsequently double-faulting twice at a critical moment in the tie-break.

"We are all humans,” said the eight-times Grand Slam winner.

"We all fall under pressure sometimes. It's completely normal, even though I have had so much experience.

"Roger, as well. Today at 3-2 in the third, he made a double fault to give me the break. So it does happen; it's normal on this level with this kind of intensity and competitive spirit that is out there."

The Serbian was happier to focus on his third-set turnaround to get things going his way once more as he collected his 50th career title.


“I managed to regroup. I managed to overcome that frustration of handing that tie-break to him with three [total] double faults in crucial moments.

"But, you know, that's sport. Under pressure sometimes these things happen and it's important to regroup, bounce back and focus on next one...

"It's great that I managed to win this match in the big tournament and to win it in a way that I felt like I was the better player on the court…

"I am at the prime of my career. I'm going to try to use every part of this fact to stay where I am and to fight for as many major titles as possible. I know that my career, as any other career, cannot go forever.

"I don't play only for myself. I play for my family, friends, my country, the people around the world that support me... I basically attract from that a lot of inspiration to play and work hard."

No comments: