Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Roger Federer fashion hoarder?

As one of the most decorated athletes of all time, Roger Federer has a career’s worth of trophies and memorabilia at his disposal.

He also has a soft spot for match outfits, admitting on Wednesday at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships that he keeps at least three of each kit he has ever worn on the court in a collection at his home.

But even his personal archive has some holes.

“I feel like I have to keep these things, because I never want to look back and think like, ‘Oh, I wish I still had that outfit,’” said Federer, who also donates many of his on-court looks to charity. “I have to take care of them. And, of course, I missed some of the outfits early on in my career because I didn't think I was going to have a career.”

That career is still going strong 17 years after turning pro, leaving room for plenty of wardrobe changes (and closet expansions) along the way. As for the bright orange tee, aqua shoes and neon laces he’s rocking in Dubai, Federer feels he was due for a change.

“I think it's different, you know,” he said of his current ensemble. “I have worn so many outfits over the years, and I am lucky enough to be able to change my outfit 10 to 12 times a year. How many times can you do a t-shirt and another colored shirt? I was like, ‘Let's mix it up a little bit.’ I haven't worn bright colors in some time.”


As much as Federer values his fashion, the Swiss is fully focused on his quarter-final match against Frenchman Richard Gasquet. Just don’t ask him who he prefers to play in the final.


“Yeah, it's not Friday night yet, you know. I hope you can ask that question again another time.”

No comments: