Friday, March 13, 2015

Roger Federer feeling positive before start of BNP Paribas Open

Less than 24 hours after his World Tennis Day exhibition in New York City, Roger Federer sat down with media members at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells on Wednesday to discuss everything from his current playing condition to the future of men's tennis.

After a week of rest following his record seventh title in Dubai, Federer was glad to squeeze in some match play against Grigor Dimitrov at Madison Square Garden on Tuesday night.

“Yesterday’s match in New York actually gave me some input of what I needed to work on,” Federer said. “I was always going to come here and make sure the first few days I get used to the courts. I had a bit of a slow week last week after Dubai, so I think the next few days are going to be important for me.”

Federer, a four-time champion in Indian Wells, was asked if there is anything he feels he can’t do as well at the age of 33 compared to several years ago. The World No. 2 responded without hesitation.

“Not really, to be honest,” he said. “I have a hard time remembering how I felt back in 2002. I was more insecure with my game. I was more worried about a bad day.

“Today, I don’t feel like I have that many bad days anymore. Maybe sometimes you come out and it’s not working; that’s something that happened very few times in the years where I was very dominant. Otherwise, I feel like I am playing very well.”

When he does decide that his body isn’t fit for play anymore, Federer knows there will be players eager to step in for him.

“The wheel keeps turning. There is always going to be a new Wimbledon champion, a new French Open champion, a new World No. 1. There is always going to be someone else when our generation is gone. Who that’s going to be today, it’s really tough to tell.”

After a bye in the first round, Federer will kick off his 2015 BNP Paribas campaign against the winner of Jerzy Janowicz and Diego Schwartzman.

No comments: