Thursday, March 12, 2015

Martina Hingis approached Roger Federer for Rio Olympics mixed doubles

With 22 major singles titles between them, Roger Federer and Martina Hingis could join forces at the Rio Olympics.


Roger Federer said Martina Hingis has approached him regarding joining forces in the mixed doubles at the 2016 Olympic Games.


Hingis previously turned down Federer's offer to link up at the London Games in 2012, but the five-time grand slam singles champion - and reigning Australian Open mixed doubles winner with Leander Paes - is courting the 17-time major winner ahead of the Rio Olympics.


Federer said he would weigh up his options, as he is already committed to the men's singles and doubles.


"She has approached me and I've said I'll give it some thought," Federer said, following an exhibition clash with Grigor Dimitrov at Madison Square Garden on Tuesday.


"The problem is I don't know how to play singles, [men's] doubles, and mixed within an eight-day period.


"If I try to win them all, it's like 15 matches in eight days. You tell me how that works. I don't know, I don't.


"So I have to figure out things and what my priority is at the end of the day.


"Martina has done a lot for tennis in Switzerland and she was, I guess, to some extent a hero of mine.

"Seeing her on the tour basically when I was not knowing what I was doing on the tennis court and she was already winning Wimbledon and all those things, it was unbelievable to watch so I'll obviously give it some thought because I have a lot of respect for her."


Hingis and Federer previously combined to win the Hopman Cup for Switzerland in 2001.


After winning gold at the 2008 Beijing Olympics in the men's doubles with Stan Wawrinka, Federer won silver in London - losing the singles final to Andy Murray at the All England Club.


Make it happen Roger, make it happen!.

No comments: