Friday, August 14, 2009

End of the road for Kim Clijsters in Cincinnati

MASON, Ohio — Kim Clijsters' comeback ran into a No. 1 problem.

Playing her first tournament in more than two years, the Belgian couldn't keep up with the world's top-ranked player on Friday. Dinara Safina repeatedly broke her serve during a 6-2, 7-5 victory to reach the semifinals of the Cincinnati Open and finish Clijsters' uplifting week back on the court.

With both Williams sisters gone, Clijsters' return became the talk of the $2 million Western & Southern Financial Group Women's Open. The former No. 1-ranked player took a break in 2007, married basketball player Brian Lynch, gave birth to daughter Jada, then set about returning to the game at a top level.

While she was away, Clijsters watched one player improve more than any other: Safina.

"I really felt today that Dinara played some of her best tennis that I've seen," said Clijsters, who won six of their seven previous matches. "I think by far that's the best she's ever played against me."

No mother has knocked off a No. 1-ranked player since Evonne Goolagong Cawley beat Chris Evert in the finals of the Virginia Slims of Boston in 1978. Thirty-one years later, Clijsters got a good start at it, pushing the pace and getting a service break for a 2-0 lead.

It unraveled fast.

Safina used her powerful forehand to her advantage, hitting shots that eluded Clijsters' reach. She dominated the rest of the set, running off 24 of the last 31 points. For the first time all week, Clijsters looked like a player who had been off the tour for two years.

"I know exactly what to expect from her," Safina said. "For me, she's one of the best players. I thought I was very aggressive today and didn't let her dictate too much."

Clijsters started the second set by pushing the pace and getting another quick break to pull ahead 2-0.

Same beginning, similar ending.

Safina broke her serve three times in a row, the last on Clijsters' double fault to take a 6-5 lead. When Safina served it out, Clijsters calmly removed her black wristband and visor, walked to the net, shook her hand, packed quickly and headed out.

Disappointing, but not discouraging. Clijsters played well overall in her four matches during the week, surpassing her expectations in some ways.

"Obviously so far, it's working," she said. "I had really good results, and feel my level here has risen."

So much that she was already aching for another shot at No. 1.

"I kind of feel like I want to go out there and do it all over again," Clijsters said.

Source: The Associated Press

Darn, and it was going so well. She even beat Svetlana Kuznetsova!. I have no doubt though that with time her results will only get better.

I applaud her for giving her career another shot (I always thought she left the sport way too early).

After all Martina Hingis give it another go, climbing up the rankings to #6 in the world after a 3 year break.

If Hingis can get results like that. I think Kim has a good shot at being back on top. So I say, watch out WTA!.

No comments: