Thursday, August 13, 2009

Clijsters' comeback continues

MASON, Ohio — Playing her second competitive match in more than two years, Kim Clijsters reached the third round of the Cincinnati Open with a 6-2, 7-5 win over Patty Schnyder on Wednesday.

Clijsters who retired in May 2007 and gave birth to a daughter in February 2008, knocked out 12th-seeded Marion Bartoli in straight sets on Monday. The 2005 U.S. Open champion followed up by never losing her serve against the 20th-ranked Schnyder.

"Does it look easy?" Clijsters said. "I started off playing well. It's a really good feeling. I'm moving well. I'm very happy with the way I'm starting. It helps your confidence to get into a rhythm."

The 26-year-old Clijsters is scheduled to meet sixth-seeded Svetlana Kuznetsova in the next round, with a possible quarterfinal match looming against top-seeded Dinara Safina. Clijsters has won six of her seven matches against Kuznetsova.

"I knew coming in that this was a big tournament," Clijsters said. "I knew it was going to be tough from the start, and I'm glad I'm still going. Patty's a good player. We've had a lot of tough matches, a lot of three-setters, so I'm glad I got out in two."

Source: The Associated Press

This certainly says a lot about the state of the WTA doesn't it?.

No comments: