Sunday, June 07, 2009

Viva La Federer the "GOAT"!!




I was going to start things off with a point by point breakdown of this historic match. But I'm just to overwhelmed at the moment. I'm still in disbelief mode.

Even though (as a huge Federer fan) I was wishing and hoping for him to finally win it. I still had my doubts. I was really afraid that he would crumble under the huge weight of expectation and pressure (as he had done the previous year).

And despite Federer having a 9-0 head to head record against Soderling I still wasn't completely convinced. Especially with the added pressure of everyone telling him, "this is your year" and your chance, it's "now or never".

That could not have been easy to deal with. And let's face it Soderling knocking out Nadal was no small feat! (that had to be in the back of Federer's mind as well).

Having said all that I had a small sliver of hope that Federer having such a long hard road to the final (I honestly thought those 5 setters against Haas and Del Potro would kill me!) would be beneficial to him in the long run. And I was so right!.

By having such a tough draw Roger really had to fight just to get to the final, he felt all that pressure and kept coming back (sometimes just scraping through).

But I think it really helped him, it let him know that he could go the distance. I think that's partly why he came into to the championship match playing calm and confident showing shades of the old Federer winning the first set 6-1.

The second set was a little tighter, but Federer's superb serve really helped him and he won the 2nd set tie break fairly easily.

There were a few tense moments in the third set (a break point on Federer's serve at 5-4) but he held his nerve and won it 6-4. Overall I was extremely impressed with how well Federer handled himself.

Despite all the obstacles, the drizzling rain, and even a crazed fan who managed to run on to the court and touch him before being tackled by security (still can't believe they even allowed him to get that close!). He rose above and came out victorious in the end. That's the sign of a true champion.

Now I'm sure some might argue that Soderling didn't play his best (certainly not at the same level as the Nadal match) and that the nerves of the occasion got to him.

But I'm not one of them, I give Roger full credit he had a lot more to lose. I'm sure some may also be disappointed, or perhaps even complain about this final not being as highly competitive and exciting (as the epic's with Federer vs. Nadal).

To those people I say WHATEVER!. Federer worked his tail off just to get to the final Sunday and he deserved to have an easier one.

Even the French crowd realized how historically big this was and unlike in the past they didn't start rooting for the opponent or protest when Roger won the whole thing in 3 sets (even though I'm sure they would have liked it to go longer).

Finally after losing to Rafael Nadal at this very tournament 3 times in a row Roger can get the giant monkey (in the form of the 14th Grand Slam) off his back!.

Tying Pete Sampras's record at the French Open (which Pete has never won) and thus completing his career Grand Slam just made it that much sweeter.

I admit to shedding a few tears along with Roger as he hit the match point (and when Andre Agassi came up to shake his hand).

After the tumultuous year that was 2008 and so many tears of sadness. It was so nice to see him shedding tears of joy.

Congratulations Roger Federer for finally achieving what was beginning to seem impossible.

There's no denying now that you truly are the "GOAT" ("Greatest of All Time"). Onward to Wimbledon!.

Photos: hingis.org and telegraph.co.uk

No comments: