Thursday, June 04, 2009

Martina Hingis on Federer, her career and the WTA

Martina has been a busy bee, giving many interviews in the last couple of days.


Q: Martina Hingis, how are you following tennis during your suspension?

A: I still love tennis and I like to watch matches. I am quite well-informed.


Q: What are your impressions on women’s tennis?

A: It happens that whenever I start to watch a match I soon turn away. In principle I enjoy men’s tennis much more. Women’s tennis is very monotonous at the moment. I agree with my mother, who said, “if you cut off the heads of all the players, they would all look the same.” If you didn’t look closely, many matches look alike. They all bash at the balls. You cannot see any variations and crafty play.


Q: You would also include Dinara Safina in such a circle?

A: She plays very powerful tennis. You can also tell that she trained very hard. Formerly she was sometimes a bit mentally unstable. Now she is at the top and I don’t mind. But it is not the tennis that makes me say: “Wow, cool, I must watch Safina’s matches.”


Q: Do you think that women’s tennis used to be more attractive?

A: I played at a time when women’s tennis was highly popular. It was super for the public to see how tennis was played. Both Williams were at a good age, Davenport was present, Seles made her come-back, Capriati was the darling of the USA…


Q: But on the other hand the women get sometimes more prizemoney than the men.

A: They owe it mainly to the players of that time. It is the effect of the remains of this time. Today the women play often in empty stadiums.


Q: What’s your opinion about the rivalry between Federer and Nadal?

A: It’s good for tennis. It is simply good tennis: Two totally different characters, who play diversely – one very physical, the other with more technique. These are really good matches, which I never miss watching.


Q: Many doubt that Federer will win more grand slams. Do you as well?

A: You should not write him off. When the circumstances are in his favour, like in Madrid, he can still win a Grand-Slam. Nowadays he must really fight his way through. Formerly there was no one around, his opponents were beaten in the locker room.

Q: Did you hear anything from Roger since your suspension began?

A: In the last one or two years, no. I follow his career. Why not? Marriage, pregnancy. The private life is important so you can play good tennis and be happy.


Q: You had your five Grand Slam titles already at the age of 19. The last five finals you lost. How do you explain that?

A: The Paris final I should have won. So I wouldn’t be always hearing that I have never won the French Open. There were also some narrow losses against Davenport and Williams. With a bit more luck I could have won 6-7 titles.


Q: The narrowest loss was at the Australian Open 2002 against Jennifer Capriati, when you had four match points.

A: That match I lost already at the score line of 4:2, 40:0. If I had made it 5:2, probably I could have won the match. At the time when I had match points, she was already again in the match. But Capriati played first class tennis back then.


Q: What achievements are you most proud of?

A: My comeback was not so bad. Very few believed that I would rise to no. 6. Of course the Grand Slam titles, my years as number one. But also the wins against the two Williams’ in Melbourne 2001, although I didn’t win the tournament. Against Serena I barely lost and I beat Venus 6:1, 6:1.


Interview by René Stauffer in the Sonntagszeitung of May 31, 2009

One of the things I've always appriciated about her interviews was the fact that she has never been afraid to be frank and boldly state her opinions.

Good to see that things have stayed the same on that front.

And I wholeheartedly agree with her on Federer and especially the WTA.

It is a complete bore-fest, and it is the reason why I find myself tunning into the men's matches more and more with every passing year.

Source: allIneedisapicketfence blog via hingis.org

1 comment:

Ethnic Food said...

Martina HIngis is one of the greatest players of all time. I appreciate you for creating this post