Saturday, June 06, 2009

Martina Hingis speaks candidly on life and WTA ban

As I mentioned a few days ago Martina has been doing a lot of interviews recently.

I have to admit I'm a bit curious as to why. Could it be that now that her ban is close to being over, she feels more free to speak?.

Whatever the reason I'm glad she's finally opening up more on the (ban) issue, and what her life has been like for the last year and a half.

Martina Hingis, on November 1, 2007 you were informed that you tested positive for cocaine, but you stated that you are innocent. Since then you retreated more or less away from the public. . Why this interview now?

I had difficulties accepting it all, I had doubts about justice and I wanted to distance myself. In the meantime 1 ½ years have passed and the ban will last only four months, then a new chapter will start in my life.

On the 1st of October your ban will end. What does this date mean for you?

I will celebrate my 29th birthday on September 30 a bit more intense then usual, I will drink one or two glass more. Then I will be a free person. I can go to riding-or to tennis tournaments, I can go to Roland Garros or Wimbledon. Then my dignity will be restored.

Q: Have you kept in contact with friends from the tour?

A: If you are not allowed to go to tournaments you just lose the contacts. The others do not travel to Switzerland. In the USA I rung up Monica (Seles), but she was not there. I've had several contacts with Anna (Kournikova). Once I met Justine in Belgium.

Q: People said, that the worst part about the suspension has been the fact that you could not participate at riding events. Was it really so?

A: No. The worst was, that e.g. I could not got to Wimbledon or the US Open, where I was invited like all other former Champions. ITF said, that I was not allowed to enter the stadium during the tournament. There are always people who come up to me and say: super career. And now all that shouldn't be an issue. Am I no longer a former champion? I was cut to the quick. To overcome this, was not so easy.

Q: Did you feel as if you were rejected?

A: Many of my relations with sponsors etc. were taken away. I've always had very good relations: I was with Yonex for 15 years. I cannot comment (I'm assuming we're talking about match commentating here), cannot coach, I have more or less an employment ban.

Q:You were also the object of mockery and evil caricatures. Did it hurt you?

A: I have seen some things and I laughed. You cannot always cry when you are reading the newspapers. Of course there were some silly sayings, but they didn’t bother me.

Q: How did the people react?

A: When I spoke with people, the issue came up all the time. The majority who followed my career have a good impression of me. Particulary in the USA, where I spent a lot time,- above all in Saddlebrook. There my achievements are in the foreground. The good thing there is: Once you're at the top, you mostly remain a legend. On the streets people often asked me: Why aren't you playing anymore?

Q: Did people point a finger at you?

A: I retreated to avoid that. I lived my life, with my horses, with my family and friends. Or I was abroad. This exclusion was not easy to bear. Also not for my mother and Mario(Widmer). If somebody looks at me, as if I were a drug addict…. the word 'cocaine' didn’t belong in my vocabulary.

Q: How were your protests of innocence accepted?

A: I know, that many thought that I just tried it. But in such a case I would not have done it at Wimbledon!. To do such thing you must be really stupid. In a first round, when I nearly lost, against a player named Cavaday!. For many it was simply a doping case. Without taking into consideration how small the substance was and that outside the tournaments cocaine is allowed. You can find traces of cocaine everywhere. I made the hair test because I didn’t want to be characterized as a drug addict. My tennis was not based on such things…. I have never been afraid to be on the court. I don't even know the effect of cocaine.

.
Q: You wrote an annotation in the protocol of the doping test.
A: “All is ok”. In my life I've had 80 to 100 doping tests and I've never had a problem. I would not jeopoardise my career, only to play once more at Wimbledon. As if I am in need of that. I would never have a problem admitting: I have taken cocaine, I wanted to know how it is. But then I wouldn’t do it at Wimbledon.

Q: Have you ever regretted having accepted the verdict without recourse?

A: We discussed it very extensively. But I did not want to go from court to court. The example of Marion Jones shows that you even can get bankrupt. And in her case it took five years until all was finished. That was nothing for me.

Q Were you surprised by the severity of the sentence?

A: I never thought that the suspension would be for two years. I thought 3 months. Prior to and after my case, there was never a suspension of two years for cocaine.

Q. How do you explain this severity?
A: This is the Hingis-bonus, which is negative. How long was the suspense for Novacek and Wilander? 3 monts. And why was it different in my case.

Q Perhaps they wanted to make an example with you to show that they take ruthless action against doping, also against big players.

A: Perhaps they needed somebody for this and I was the victim.

Q: Do you sometimes think: If I had known how my come back ends, I would have renounced to it, so my name in the tennis history would be better?

A: This would depend how all will develop from October. The only reproach I have is the fact that I started in Wimbledon not 100% prepared. I just wanted to play by all means. I was injured, I had played only for 2 weeks. I should have dropped it.

Q: You never appeared completely content during your come-back. How do you look back now to that time?

A: Until Tokyo(February 2007) everything worked super, afterwards not so great. At Tokyo I played very well, in the final I beat Ivanocic. This was a highlight. At that moment I thought all will continue this way. Furthermore I had a relationship, for which I made compormises. I decided to help him as he was injured and I thrived.

Q: Are you glad, that you tried it once more?

A: I had to take courage. But I wanted to experience all these things, the gala diners, the photo shoots, the tournaments, and to be on the top. And I did, I won three tournaments. I just enjoyed it, it was like a bonus. Most people didn’t believe that I would advance so high up the ranking with my height and my power. My come-back was not bad. I can be proud about it.

Q: Would you have played any longer without the doping case?

A: I think less. I would have surely taken a time-out. At that time I did not know how our relationship would develop. If it doesn’t work out, you think more about retreating. And I lost several times in the first or second round. You have to ask yourself: Is it worth it? But I kept it up for almost two years. And they were 2 very nice years.


Q There are rumors about a new come-back. Is there truth to them?

A: Many people ask me when I will start playing again. But the effort is too great for me in order to go up to the top. I don’t believe that I have the will and the energy to deliver such performance. Week after week, as before. On good days I play okay, on bad days I think: Oh my god… I have a good life here, I have a house, a friend, my horses. And when the weather is good, it is really wonderful. I don’t have in mind to go from tournament to tournament. But to play some exhibitions, that would interest me.

Q: You still take part in the doping test program of Swiss Olympics. Why?

A: I decided to stay in the system, in case I wanted to come back. Also because of the exhibitions. They could have made tests the whole 2 years, but they didn’t do it. But I have to inform them where I am. Sometimes I feel like a criminal.

Q: During the ban you competed at exhibitions in Liverpool, Boston, California, Germany. Were there no problems?

A: I had a lot more offers, but I didn’t want to provoke anybody. Most of the exhibitions were for some charitable purposes.

Q: How intensely do you play tennis nowadays?

A: In the first half year I didn’t play much, now a bit more. I still enjoy it. Recently I invited a 15-year old German girl, Daria Gajos. So we could train for a few days. I met her in Berlin in January, when she won the Berlin-Brandenburg Championships. I would like to do that more often.

Q: Did you train once again with Patty, who lives near your home?

A:No, she hasn’t asked me and I do not want to call her and say: I am here and I am ready… I benefit from my mother as she trains good juniors, like Belinda(Bencic) and Talissa(Kucera). So I have good sparring partners.

Q: Were you never bored? Or did you discover new things?

A: I'm taking driving lessons for my motor-boat, so that I can finally drive with my boat. Sometimes I had to really search for something to do. For a while I rode 5, 6 horses in a day, so I was engaged.

Q: How are your riding ambitions? Will you ride at sporting events?

A: Perhaps. I have to look at how it works. At the moment I have two horses in Rueschlikon and two in Basel. But If you want to ride internationally, it gets expensive. And for this you need competence.

Q: You say, that you are happy with your private life. Do you have specific plans: marriage, children?

A: My private life is stable, I have a good friend, I am content. But it's too early to make big plans.

Q: How do you imagine your future?

A: I take it as it comes and see what happens. I always get inquiries regarding coachiing or playing.

Q: Coach Martina Hingis?

A: No, rather…. (considers) consultant.

Q: You do not want to travel to tournaments as a coach like your mother?

A: No, in such case I would prefer to play for myself. Sometimes I think the best would be to start a family and to undertake something with your own child. So you have the best control.

Q: Do you see your mother often?

A: Once a week we try to ride together. She also has a horse. We meet each other on the tennis court.

Q: Your life would be an ideal model for a book. Are there any plans?

A: I often think sometimes I will write a book with Mario. But now it is too early and also too complicated. But whenever I have outbursts of temper, I write it down, so that I don’t forget it.

I feel the need to point out something there are a lot of "friend" references in the interview.

I think it's safe to assume she's actually talking about her boyfriend but it comes out different when translated from German *lol*.

Also I've never been a big fan of ITF (International Tennis Federation) especially not after Hingis's ban, but I think they hit a new low by not allowing her to enter the Tennis stadiums at grand slam matches as a former champion. So not cool!.

I actually can't wait until her ban ends and we can at least get a glimpse of her on t.v. sitting in the stands :).

Source/Translation: hingis.org

Edited by me

No comments: