Sunday, June 07, 2009

Martina Hingis on new love, home life and shopping



And here is the Schweizer Illustrierte interview from which I posted some pictures earlier this week.

Some of the questions repeat from the earlier interview I posted a few days back but still a good read. Also I gotta say they do look very cute together :).

Q: Martina, are you happy?

A: Yes, I am. I can now enjoy things, which I couldn’t do during my career. My house on the Lake of Zurich, which was furnished and rebuilt after my ideas. My horses, which are important to me. Zurich, where I was too less out formerly. Yes, and I am newly enamoured (in love).

Q: Where do Tennis stars like you fall in love? At parties? In clubs? Or Facebook?

A: At Spruengli. I love chocolate (for drinking). There I met Andi. We've known each other for many years. But this time we clicked. We've been together for 3 months.

Q: Andi? Please tell us more about him

A: His name is Andreas Bieri, he is 38 years old with a heigth of 1,90 m. He is lawyer and has together with his partner a law firm in Zurich. He's humourous, he is quick at repartee (quick witted), he has a good self-confidence and a big heart. Sign of the zodiac? Taurus. That you can notice sometimes (laughs).

Q: I feel gloomy about your love: Andi cannot ride!

A: That is really a weak point (laughs)! Last week he mounted one of my horses. He was frightened. That I cannot understand. Apart from that he is keen on sports. He plays tennis for GC, he was once number 15 of Switzerland. And he is a very good skier.

Q:And he's moving into your house shortly?

A: As of yet we still live in two houses. But we try to see each other as often as possible. Lately actually every day. This I enjoy really. We spent our holidays in Florida together. For his sake I don’t ride seven days a week but only 5-6 days.

Q: What does a good relationship need?

A: Confidence, independence. Each has to allow the other some freedom.

Q: I miss the word “fidelity”

A: That is included in the word confidence.

Q:Did you ever write him a real love letter? Or are you more of an SMS-kid?

A: Love letter…? Rather SMS. Or even better: telephone! That is much easier. And now as my friend lives in Switzerland the phone bill is not so big.

Q: Andi also passed the “Parents-Test”. You introduced him to your mother.

A: Yes. At mom’s birthday at the Chinese restaurat “Min Kang Yuan” in Küssnacht am Rigi(at the Lake of Lucerne). And he introduced me to his mother. All went well.

Q: You were not always so happy. Especially on November 1, 2007. Then you informed the medias that you were charged with having dopped with cocaine. And you announced also the retirement from tennis.

A: It was an awful day. We prepared the press conference very well. But when you are in front of the microphone it is not so easy.

Q: The consequences were harsh. You were suspended for two years.

A: Yes you can say that. Wimbledon invites the “past champions” to the tournament every year. I received the tickets too. But then the ITF stated that I am by no means allowed to enter the stadiums during my suspension.

Q: Were there tears?

A: No. But I fumed with rage. I already rented a house at Wimbledon and I looked forward to being at the tournament as a fan. That I missed the superfinal between Federer and Nadal I still regret.

Q: You waived a recourse of the verdict.

A: We had long discussions about it, but Mario convinced me against the recourse. I would have probably have had to go from court to court for many years. That I cannot and don’t want.

Q: In autumn the suspension ends.

A: Yes, on my birthday. The day after, October 1, I am again free. Then I can rearrange my life and make plans with my agents and my sponsors.

Q: We cannot look forward to a great come-back?

A: A come-back on the Tour will not suffice. I still on some days play rather well, but not for two sets. But I will also be ready for exhibitions matches. You play 1-3 matches and then you can recover.

Q: Do you follow tennis on tv?

A: To be honest I hardly watch women tournaments. Rather men tournaments, but only if I don’t have to get up in the middle of the night, as during the Australian Open.

Q: The career of Roger Federer interests you surely. You were also for 209 weeks the number one player. You too had to accept that you cannot be the number one forever.

A: I know the situation of Roger nowadays. But for me he is still the best tennisplayer in the world. He plays better than all others, although one has to admit that Nadal is physically unbelievably strong. Nevertheless I am still a fan of Roger.

Q: Do you have contact with your former opponents?

A: Friendships you have during the tournaments. If you are away it gets more difficult to have friendships. But when I am in Miami I meet Anna Kournikova or Monica Seles. Monica is fantastic – she participated in a big tv-show.


Q: What kind of show?

A: “Dancing with the Stars”, a dancing contest with prominent participants. I would like to do that. But I should take some dancing lessons before. I am not such a good dancer. …

Q: I see you more at show jumpings as at dancing tournaments.

A: Now, I look forward to my next start at show jumping events. But you must know: I want to start at national events, more or less right on the doorstep. Perhaps I will participate at an event in a near foreign country. I will never be a real good rider.

Q: That sounds rather modest.

A: Top riders like Guerdat or Pessoa grew up with horses. Like me with the raquet. Or Sergio Garcia with the golfball. This deficit I cannot make up. But I will try see how far I can go.

Q: How big is the “Hingis Stable”?

A: My best and most expensive horse “Kolibris Perle” is in a German stable and is trained by Hans Dreher. Myself I ride two horses: Catch the Wind and Darconi.

Q: This means you get up at six in the morning and you clean up the dung?

A: No. To get up early is not my business! I just enjoy the luxury that the horse is ready when I arrive at the stable. Once a week I ride together with my mom. Then we speak about all of our lives – like formerly at the tennis courts. We understand one another very well. I am glad that she lives nearby . So I know where to go when my refrigerator is empty. I am also grateful for what Mario is doing for me. We are a good trio.

Q: How do you spend your day?

A: I enjoy my new liberties. I sleep longer, at nine I am in the stable, I enjoy the garden in the afternoon, I meet friends. And I am studying for the motorboat driving test. I have a boat but no driving licence.

Q: And you are shopping. Which designers fill your wardrobe?

A: I like Dior, but also Cavalli, Dolce &-Gabana, Versace. There were also times when I shopped more. Now my horses are more important.

Q: Not a shoe-fanatic?

A: A little bit. But when I read how many shoes Beyoncé or others have, I feel that I am quite modest.

Q: Where can we meet you in Zurich or in the wide world?

A: My friend showed me some restaurants, which I didn’t know before: “La Côte”, “Lasalle”, “Idaburg” for instance. Sometimes I go to the bars of “Helvetia” or “Widder”. I like London, Paris. I also want to go to New York again.

Q: After many months you had three interviews this week, which was probably not so easy for you. I am sure you will reward yourself for this.

A: I have already done that. I bought at Grieder a new dress, more precisely I bought two – one by Dolce & Gabbana and one by Patrizia Pepe. There was a “2 for 1” offer. I am now a “bargain hunter”.
Source/Translation: hingis.org
Edited by me

It's interesting that she mentioned getting her sponsors and agents back I thought she didn't want to return to the WTA?.

Or is it that you still need them even for exhibitons?. Anyone out there know?. 'Cause I'm confused.

Oh, and I am so with her on the Aussie Open the time difference just kills me (over the years I've learned it's best to just tape the matches).

Also I loved her comment on going home to raid her mom's fridge *lol*. I guess no matter how old we get we'll always find ways to mooch off our parents.

No comments: