Sunday, February 01, 2009

Roger Federer Aussie Open, so close, yet so far

This year's Australian Open men's final came down to another clash between the two titans of tennis Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, and it certainly was something to watch!.

I stayed glued to my t.v. till about 6 a.m. at which point I had to succomb to sleep (gotta love TSN and their encore presentations).

In another sure to be legendary 5-setter ala last year's Wimbledon Rafael Nadal defeated Roger Federer.

The Fed-man was of course chasing the history books trying to win his 14th Grand Slam title, and tying Pete Sampras's record.

Roger really give it his all (and he did have plenty of missed chances), but once again Nadal proved stronger (especially mentally).

Now I've never been a real fan of his, but there's no denying that Nadal is an amazing player.

I don't know what was tougher to watch Roger loosing the match, or him getting so emotional as they were making their speeches.



You have to love the mutual respect these guys have for one another. Matches like these are the reason I became a fan of this sport in the first place. I just wish the women's game was half as interesting.

Even though Federer didn't win I think he's still got a lot to be proud of I haven't seen him play this well in a while.

Obviously the pressure and weight of the moment really got to him towards the end, but here is hoping he gets his revenge at Wimbledon (or perhaps the French Open). What?. I can dream.

No comments: