Thursday, December 11, 2008

Top Ten Google Searches 2008

Well, we're nearing the end of yet another year and you know what that means. Yep, once again it's time for Google's top 10 searches of the year (aka 2008 year-end Zeitgeist).

I found the Global Top 10 to be the most interesting this time around.


1. Sarah Palin (no real surprise here since practically the entire world was captivated with the U.S. election. Personally I am not a big fan, I did however immensely enjoy the numerous and hilarious Tina Fey SNL parodies.

2. Beijing 2008 (can't say I really followed it all that much since I'm more of a Winter Olympics fan, but those opening ceremonies will definitely stick in my mind for years to come. One thing is for sure we (meaning Canada has it's work cut out for 2010).

3. Facebook login (aka Crackbook , this network is growing at a frighteningly rapid pace, maybe that's why it has been running at a snails pace lately. They should really invest some money into new servers, because it's only gonna get worse. Among other things someone should also look into fixing the laughable program they call the facebook "chat").

4.
Tuenti (Spanish social network) (it seems that social networks were a real trend this year. It's also worth noting that one of the biggest social networks Myspace is nowhere to be found).

5.
Heath Ledger (perhaps one of the saddest and most shocking celebrity deaths, there are times when I still can't believe it).

6. Obama (what I find most surprising is that the international Internet audience found Sarah Palin more interesting then Obama, or should I say scary).

7. Nasza Klasa (Polish social network) as a person who's actually from Poland I was pretty happy to see this on the list. Although gotta say I'm a member of it and I had no idea it was so international *lol*).

8.
Wer Kennt Wen (German social network)

9. Euro 2008 (as someone who actually watched it again this year I'm sure I contributed to the search numbers quite a bit :).

10.
Jonas brothers (um....really?!)

Also for the first time ever this year Google has compiled search data from 35 countries.

In addition to the overall top 10 search queries, you can also find search data on images, books, translate and news searches. Which is my second favourite.

For comparison's sake this is what the top 10 U.S. search queries looked like last year. And here is what they look like for 2008:

1. Obama
2. Facebook
3. ATT
4. iPhone
5. YouTube
6. FOX News
7. Palin
8. Bejing 2008
9. David Cook (for those who may not know he was this year's American Idol winner)
10. Surf the Channel (I love this site you can watch pretty much every t.v. show ever made)

Interesting the iPhone fell from #1 to 4, Myspace is once again non-existant. Facebook got more attention from the U.S. this year moving all the way to #2. And YouTube stayed in the exact same spot at 5.

That's about it for similarities the rest are all brand new, but unsurprising and pretty self explanitory.

With the exception of #10, I've always thought it was my little secret, but I guess the cat is out of the bag :D. Oh and this has to be said, FOX News?, really?.

Sorry, but that network will never be on any top ten (or otherwise) list of mine. I'll take CNN or BBC any day of the week thank you.

No comments: