Sunday, December 28, 2008

Birthday musings

They say that age is just a number, but it's a number that we after a certain point start to dread.

Why is that?.

Is it the painful reminder of time passed, opportunities lost?.

Isn't it funny how when we are young all we want to do is grow up, but once that actually happens all we want to do is go back to a time when we were younger.

It's a strange conundrum. I often find myself wishing I could go back to those carefee times of my life, but as much fun as those years were, with age comes a wisdom and maturity that I don't think I would want to give up.

So what is it about the number itself that inspires so much anxiety . For some it may be because it's closer to a certain round figure (like the big 3-0 in my case).

It could also be the fact that with a certain age come certain expectations (societal or otherwise) and it's the fear of not meeting them that leads to the age- phobia. Or perhaps it's just the simple fact of getting older I don't know....

I think this Pink song sums it up best.

I hide my pain like the rest of them
That's why I'm always laughing
I'm troubled, I'm brilliant and miserable too

That's why I am so funny
I swallow down all my fears
With a bottle made of silver
I've only been here for 27 years
But already my life is over

And I need to unwind, yes, and I
I need to unwind, yes, and I
Want all the time
To be loved, to unwind

My life is like a fairytale
That nobody believes in
I can't remember anything
Not the people, not the places I've been

Just one more day you can make it, babe
That's what I tell myself
And everything that I love in life
It is killing me, 'cause it's bad for my health

And I need to unwind, yes, and I

I need to unwind, yes, and I
Want all the time
To be loved, to unwind

"Unwind"

And, yes in case you didn't catch on to my not-so-subtle hints today is indeed my Birthday, thus the introspection.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think you are right about age and society's expectations. The cake and presents DO rock though, don't they?

happy birthday lurker!