Saturday, December 20, 2008

Eddie Murphy as 'The Riddler' in new Batman flick?

FUNNYMAN EDDIE MURPHY will play The Riddler in the next Batman movie, The Sun can reveal.

The Beverly Hills Cop star, 47, has been signed up by British director CHRISTOPHER NOLAN to reprise the role played by JIM CARREY in 1995’s Batman Forever.

The surprise move follows speculation linking Pirates of the Caribbean star JOHNNY DEPP to the part.

The film, set for a 2010 release, is being developed under the working title Gotham.

Execs have also signed up rising Transformers star SHIA LABEOUF, 22, to play Robin.

CHRISTIAN BALE will return as Bruce Wayne, while MICHAEL CAINE will again play Bruce’s assistant Alfred.

Meanwhile, Brit RACHEL WEISZ is said to be up for the Catwoman role.

Insiders also revealed to The Sun the flick will end on a cliffhanger over whether Batman survives a blast at Wayne Towers.

Nolan had been tight-lipped about the future of the Batman films after being rocked by the January death of HEATH LEDGER — tipped to receive a posthumous Oscar for his role as The Joker in The Dark Knight.

A film insider said: “Chris wasn’t sure if he wanted to do another movie but as soon as he decided to, he got the wheels in motion.

“Eddie’s a fantastic addition. Everyone’s excited to see what he does as the Riddler.”

Source: The Sun

I don't know when I think of 'The Riddler' he doesn't scream Eddie Murphy to me, Jim Carrey, Johnny Depp yes (he's the master of weird characters) but Eddie Murphy? not so much.

Don't get me wrong I have enormous respect for him as an actor (and I still enjoy all of his great comedies), but I just can't picture him in this role.

Who knows he may prove me wrong we'll see. As for Rachel Weisz and Shia Labeouf those two could definitely work.


1 comment:

Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

If they let Murray mug it up for the camera, it will be a disaster. Jim Carrey was and is a nightmare; as soon as I saw his name associated with the Batman franchise, I knew it would reek. Of course, when I saw Schulman's name as director, I pretty much gave up all hope.

Let's hope Nolan maintains his integrity and vision. This franchise is reborn, but it doesn't mean its invulerable.